2005/2006 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 35 v 12 Quins
03 May 2006 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Cardiff 35 Carmarthen uins 12

Talk about cameo performances. Chris Anderson is never far from the action for the Blue & Blacks but against the Quins, as a 54th minute replacement, he excelled himself.

Cardiff, struggling and stuttering, were trailing 8-12 and showing every signs of being booted off the Arms Park by the kicking of Quins fly-half, Simon Daniel. He had already slotted a drop-goal hat-trick as well as a penalty and was putting the ball into the Blue & Blacks' 22 with the precision of a guided missile.

Nick Gill's 53rd minute try had given Cardiff some hope but there was still a lot of work, and a lot of tactical nous, needed as Anderson took centre stage in his new role at scrum-half. Now at last there was someone who could take on the Quins and desperate Daniel at their own game. Cue a booming touchfinder deep into the visitors territory. Within a minute of coming on Anderson was then called up for a tricky 38-metre penalty goal. Over it went....11-12.

The whole team bucked up. Dafydd Hewitt picked up a botched Quins grubber kick and galloped 80 metres for the try and the lead. Anderson duly converted from wide out. Then another soaring diagonal kick and from the lineout another attack which seemed to break down only for the jet-propelled Gill to surge over from a standing start.

Then Mark Lewis, putting in what can only be described as a Malpas-like performance as a ball-carrier, won a lineout and Chris Stamatakis peeled off for a text-book try.

Having received a bang on the head in the build-up, it was time for Anderson to take his leave. Job done in an interesting 21 minutes of action. At the end the wickedest of bounces from a speculative kick fell into Elgan Jones' arms and he raced over for the fifth try and another win that keeps Cardiff firmly in mid-table.

The young Blue & Blacks didn't quite steal Big Ben Evans' thunder. In what may well be his last game at the Arms Park, where he first played for Cardiff Youth, the great servant led the team with gusto and fully deserved the crowd's applause. But then, so did all the team for a great comeback - not just in this match but over the course of the last three months.