2003/2004 WRU National League
Cardiff 35 v 7 Quins
24 January 2004 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Cardiff 35 Carmarthen Quins 7

Cardiff jumped another two places up the Premier Division table into eleventh place as they gained a second successive victory.

More significantly, they completely reversed their early season defeat at Carmarthen as they outscored the Quins by six tries to one.

Star of the show was lightning fast wing Jonny Vaughton who scored a hat-trick in the first 35 minutes and brought down the curtain on a brilliant display with a fourth touchdown late in the second half.

Any hopes of the Quins completing a double over the Blue & Blacks were soon forgotten as they rarely escaped from their own territory in the first half.

Referee Phil Fear quickly ran out of patience with their illegal spoiling. To his credit, not only did he penalise them three times in the first five minutes but he also despatched the third offender, wing Josh Freeman, to the sin-bin after a general warning.

Within a minute Vaughton made them pay when he opened his account after textbook passing along the back line with Pieter Muller missed out between fly-half and outside centre. Vaughton’s pace did the rest as it did again six minutes later as he chased a great grubber kick from Nick Macleod to touchdown under the nose of the Quins’ defender.

Quins reduced the deficit with a try by Wayne Evans, converted by his half-back partner Leighton McKenna, but only after their first thrust had been halted on the line by a remarkable tackle by Muller.

The ex-Springbok’s presence was doing nothing for any Quins of a nervous disposition and there was a confidence about the whole Blue & Blacks’ approach. Macleod slotted a high and handsome penalty goal from 40 metres and then another Quin, hooker Euros Evans, was given 10 minutes in the cooler as his team’s serial offending showed little sign of being abandoned.

Vaughton looked to have been robbed of his hat-trick on the half-hour as he was recalled for a forward pass but three minutes later his third legal strike duly arrived. Again it was the result of sizzling play by the backs with Donavan van Vuuren contributing an inspired flip-pass to dumbfound the Quins.

Cardiff were well-worth every point of their 18-7 interval lead but there was even better to come on the resumption. Despite the Quins changing their young halfbacks and bringing on ex- Cardiff scrumhalf, the much-travelled Steve Wake, they were unable to register a point in the second period.Two minutes after the restart skipper Owen Ruttley scored a try converted by Macleod.

Five minutes later Elgan Jones intercepted a Quins’ pass in his own 22 and raced 80 metres for a try that brought the 2,000 crowd to their feet. Yellow fever was still evident when James Malpas was despatched within a minute of coming on as a replacement but the Blue & Blacks had one more moment of brilliance up their sleeves. This time it was Macleod’s brilliant flip pass that set them running and again it was Vaughton who dodged, weaved and swerved his way through the remnants of the defence on a mazy run to the line to complete a great afternoon’s work

Official : Phil Fear (Wales)

Cardiff Quins