2004/2005 WRU National League
Cardiff 24 v 14 Llandovery
12 October 2004 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 24 Llandovery 14

Cardiff secured a much-needed win to leapfrog Llandovery in the Premier Division. They built up a comfortable 24-nil lead early in the second half and although the Drovers' pack piled over for two late converted tries the Blue & Blacks were never in danger of being overhauled.

Skipper Owen Ruttley led his side  by example with a plucky display that included several dangerous breaks in the first half and some sensible kicking to close the game out after the break. Dafydd Hewitt continued the good impresion he made at Bridgend last Saturday and in a hard-working forward unit Chris Purcell proved a very able deputy for the injured Johnathan Edwards.

Cardiff dominated the first period with territory and possession but it was 27 minutes before the first points were posted. After several near misses the backs finally combined well for Nick Gill to cross near the left corner. Chris Anderson converted expertly from a wide angle. Four minutes later Ruttley burst though the middle, Purcell acted as the link and Anderson sent Leon Andrews over for the second converted try.

Cardiff were worth every point of their 14-0 lead and shortly after the restart Anderson added a penalty goal from 25 metres. The highspot of the evening came in the 55th minute when Andrews gathered the loose ball and sent Elgan Jones tearing down the right touchline.

What the winger lacks in pace he more tha makes up for in guile and skill and his text-book sidestep left the last line of defence flat-footed as he  scored his third try of the season. Anderson again converted and Cardiff seemed home and dry.They were, but  careless lineout work plagued their efforts in the final quarter. 

Llandovery came back with lock Arwel Davies touching down twice for tries after powerful forward drives and full back Gareth Morgan converted both. After that the Blue & Blacks returned to the attack and came close to scoring again before the final whistle went on a satisfactory performance