2006/2007 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 12 v 20 Cardiff
26 December 2006 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas 12 Cardiff 20

A try deep in injury time by Michael Leaman, converted in some style from the edge of touch by Craig Evans, provided a perfect finish to another important away victory for the Blue & Blacks.

An exciting, if scrappy, affair had boiled over moments before as Bedwas struggled to keep out the Cardiff pack driving over from close range lineouts. In the end, Leaman's touchdown duly arrived, but not before home locks Keith Larrad in the 79th minute, and Rhodri Edwards plus opposite number Dafydd Rosser three minutes later, had been waved on their way to the distant dug-out by unseasonal yellow cards.

Cardiff just about deserved their win after a staccato start in which Bedwas dominated the first 20 minutes. But then a six-minute purple patch during which Jamie Roberts scored twice, opened up a lead that was never lost.

The return of the towering full-back has been a plus for an otherwise uninspiring back division in the last fortnight. So, too, has been the presence of Shaun James as he comes to terms with balancing his career and sporting commitments. His angle of running and text-book passing are gradually being used to better effect in what has been an ever-changing three-quarter line.

The outside centre was involved in pin-point link work by all of the midfield after good lineout possession on the right for the first try. Then a lineout on the left, from much further out, produced more good ball and Josh Freeman came off the blind-side wing to make the initial break before Roberts' power and pace did the rest. 

If the deadly try-scoring petered out after that (almost as quickly as it had appeared) there was at least the consolation of again seeing the pack taking no prisoners. Few sides have the appetite to mix it with the new look Cardiff pack this season and when they do they invariably come off second best.

Gavin Lucas, Gareth Gravell, Dafydd fact all eight of the starting forwards...never flinched from the hard stuff as Bedwas failed to take advantage of territorial dominance. Though Chris Anderson failed to convert either of the first-half tries, he had more luck shortly after the interval with a good penalty goal. Bedwas, meanwhile, were having a wretched time with their own attempts. By the end, Shaun Thomas and Andrew James had missed with seven goal kicks.

There were minor causes for worry in the second half as the 13-0 lead was pulled back to 13-12 through home tries by Rob Phillips and, after an outrageously wicked bounce, James Lewis with the first converted by Shaun Thomas. But then the Blue & Blacks' pack regained control, set up camp in the Bedwas 22, and, after the flurry of yellow cards, Leaman burrowed over to put the result beyond doubt.


Official : David Jones (Wales)

Bedwas Cardiff