2001/2002 Principality Cup
Cardiff 25 v 31 Pontypridd
13 April 2002 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 25 Pontypridd 31

Brett Davey kicked an amazing eight penalties to take Pontypridd to the Principality Cup final with a shock victory over Cardiff.

Davey, who missed a last-minute attempt in the league match between the two sides earlier in the season, was the hero this time with a superb demonstration of goal kicking.


Ponty skipper Dale McIntosh failed a fitness test leaving Paul John in charge, and his side got off to a sparkling start.

Early pressure saw hooker Mefin Davies dive over for a well-earned try after just three minutes, and then Davey, who converted the score, added two penalties.

Pieter Muller strides away for a fine Cardiff try
Pieter Muller strides away for a fine Cardiff try

At 13-0 down, Cardiff needed to show some fire and Luke Tait was warned for showing too much after a bout of fisticuffs with Nick Kelly.

The Blue & Blacks, making their first appearance at the Millennium Stadium, got back into the game when Jonathan Humphreys dived over in the corner after a line-out move.

The standard and excitement of the game was high, and the crowd were brought to its feet in the 28th minute by a sparkling Cardiff try.

After initially being on the defensive, Robert Howley and Craig Morgan combined to send Springbok centre Pieter Muller storming through for a score Iestyn Harris converted.

But the Ponty fans found their voice two minutes later as Davey slotted over his third penalty to make it 16-12.

The two kickers swapped penalties, with Harris kicking two to Davey's one, but bad news for Cardiff was the sight of veteran prop David Young being given a torrid time by Ponty's Gethin Jenkins in the scrums.

The Ponty coaching team celebrate success
Lynn Howells (centre) celebrates Ponty's success

It didn't stop them taking a 25-19 interval lead, though, as Harris kicked through for Jamie Robinson to outstrip the Ponty defence to score a converted try.

Ponty had to replace the injured Richard Johnston with Jason Lewis at the break, but clawed three points back with Davey's fifth successful kick.

After a period of Cardiff pressure earned them no reward, Ponty went up the other end to level the scores with another Davey kick.

The Ponty full-back missed another attempt before slotting over his seventh penalty to take the Sardis Road side into the lead.

Young was replaced by Ken Fourie, who was immediately warned by referee Nigel Williams after collapsing a scrum.

The second half was as tense as the first was exciting, and Michael Owen tried to lift some of the tension with a storming run, but the Cardiff defence held firm.

The Blue & Blacks started to get desperate in their attempts to haul back Ponty, and another offence - this time by Muller - saw Davey make it a great eight and secure a marvelllous victory.