2005/2006 Konica Minolta Cup
Tonmawr 6 v 12 Cardiff
14 January 2006 - Whitworth Ground, Tonmawr

Match Report

Tonmawr 6 Cardiff 12

Winning cup matches away from home is never easy and that wascertainly the case for the Blue & Blacks at Tonmawr.

The Division Two West club have a proud cup record in recent seasons and it was easy to see why. On a heavy pitch at the Whitworth Ground they tested the Blue & Blacks to the limit.

Cardiff didn't take the lead until the 75th minute and by then the dreaded words 'St Peter's' were being whispered among the small but loyal (through thick, thin and regional razzmattaz counter-attractions) band of Blue & Black supporters on the touchlines.

In the end a couple of late, very late, Chris Anderson penalty goals edged his side past worthy opponents and into the fifth round draw next Tuesday.

The Tonmawr club did their visitors proud. Flags were literally flying high at the ground, a fine grandstand was a feature of one side, and the welcome in the clubhouse was a warm and genuine one. The Tonmawr team almost put the icing on the cake with a famous victory. But not quite.

They led 3-0 after 15 minutes (thanks to an Austin Howells penalty goal), again by 6-3 after 54 minutes (Rob Livingstone taking over the kicking role from the injured Howells), and were still pounding Cardiff's line in the dying moments.

Only Anderson's goal-kicking kept Cardiff in touch, succeeding with four from short range after worryingly missing his first attempt from almost in front of the posts.

There was little creative back play to talk about but several fine individual performances among the pack. Nathan Trevett contributed magnificently, galloping everywhere in the loose and showing deft touches in his passing. Gareth Knight and Chris Stamatakis weren't far behind. James Malpas, as always, tidied up the ball behind a retreating scrum and Chris Jones had his best game for the club.

Jonathan Hill carried well at inside centre but too often the ball was spilled before Dafydd Hewitt could provide the finishing touch. In the end, a win was a win and Cardiff are still in the cup. But it wasn't pretty.