2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 5 v 14 Swansea
13 January 2008 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 5 Swansea 14

The pitch was inspected and the game went ahead as planned. At the final whistle Cardiff probably wished it hadn’t.

A sparse crowd turned up to find the pitch in very good condition considering all that had gone on in the previous couple of days. The early exchanges saw both sides kicking for position. This led to a number of mistakes, one of which saw to the first chance for points when Gavin Lucas held on to an intercepted pass to race into the Swansea 22. The defence was forced to kill the ball but Craig Evans put the resulting penalty wide.

The visitors went on the attack and took the lead when Cardiff were penalised for offside, Jonny Lewis slotting the kick. There followed a series of penalties from both sides and saw the play become very scrappy, one of these penalties led to another miss by Evans.

More penalties flowed but now the referee stepped in sending Andrew Joy for a 10-minute rest. Cardiff went to the corner and from the lineout Gavin Lucas was driven over for the first try of the game. Evans missed with the extras.

Stamatakis was next in the bin for killing the ball, Jonny Lewis made no mistake with the resulting kick. Cardiff now attacked in waves, but the Whites defence held firm, although penalties did come Cardiff failed to score from the opportunities presented. When Swansea had the opportunity they took the points and following another infringement which saw Tristan Davied binned Jonny Lewis added three more points to make the half time score Cardiff 5 Swansea 9

Soon after the restart the visitors were celebrating again. Their forwards took control of the ball and sent Gavin Ronan in at the corner. Lewis failed to convert. This formed the pattern for all the kickers as several penalty attempts from both sides went astray.

The visitors defence was now up for the task as Cardiff tried everything to break them down, but they failed to make the break-through, mistakes and dropped balls leading to a series of scrums on the now churned up turf.
With seconds left the home side were awarded a penalty in the Whites 22, with no time left to win the game Cardiff opted for the kick that would earn them a bonus point. Scott Sneddon drifted the ball wide and the referee blew the whistle for no side.


Official : Steven Edwards (Wales)

Cardiff Swansea