2007/2008 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 27 v 11 Cardiff
22 March 2008 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas 27 Cardiff 11

There's no arguing with four tries to one, even when three of those against you come from turnover ball. The story of the game was more or less that: Cardiff's failure to retain possession and Bedwas' readiness to take all the half-chances gifted to them

There were other sub-texts, including a dodgy defence behind the scrum (where there was even less attacking elan) and some very ordinary tactical kicking. Nothing summed up the latter better than three penalty kicks to touch that went dead. In short, Cardiff didn't deserve to win. There was no shortage of huffing and puffing and at least the likes of James Down and Adam Whitney emerged with some credit but, in the end, it was a poor performance and a deserved defeat.

The starting line-up showed seven changes in personnel from the side that last played all of three weeks ago. There was still no Leigh Halfpenny but included at fly-half was the Blues' recent loan acquisition from Sale Sharks, Rhys Jones. Owen Ruttley was playing his fourteenth consecutive game while on the bench was Nick Hampson, not seen in Blue and Black since the Newport game in early November, and Matthew Amos for the first time this season.

The portents were not good yet the opening stages were encouraging. Craig Evans slotted a simple penalty goal in the 16th minute and four minutes later the backs purred into action from scrum ball for Ryan Howells to race down the far touchline before linking with Tristan Davies for a clinical try.

And then it all went wrong. Two turnovers in the final five minutes of the half provided tries for flanker Phil Sargent and fly-half John Welch, the second converted by Stuart Thomas. Bedwas led 15-8 at the interval and 22-8 immediately after it.

Their third try was well-executed with Fionn McLoughlin making the break and the influential Jason Tovey finishing off the move. Thomas converted again. Evans did reduce the arrears with a 38-metre goal in the 59th minute but there was a certain inevitability about the proceedings. Howells made another  great run but was overhauled inches short of the line in a carbon copy of a missed try at Aberavon in January. Then the pack steamed over but the referee brought them back for a scrum.

The final minutes were spent in the Bedwas 22 but, aptly after what had gone before, the ball was spilled, Tovey raced 80 metres up the left touchline and Nathan Hill was in support for a fourth try and bonus point for the hosts. For the Blue and Blacks it was a case of Easter egg all over their faces. 


Official : Matthew Aplin (Wales)

Bedwas Cardiff