2008/2009 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 30 v 23 Bridgend
20 September 2008 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Cardiff 30 Bridgend 23

It was quite like old times at a sun-drenched Arms Park. Craig Morgan scored the opening try and made the second and Lee Jarvis orchestrated the backs in a manner befitting the Old Masters.

The net result was that the form book was written up as Bridgend, unbeaten in their first two matches, played second fiddle in a game that turned out to be sweet music for the Blue & Blacks,

Cardiff never lost the lead they gained from Morgan's try in the 13th minute. Jarvis' deftly timed pass and Shaun James' break and the winger's surge to the corner flag was the ideal riposte after Gareth David had kicked a fourth minute penalty goal.

Then Morgan slipped a lovely pass around and behind the Ravens' defence for Roger Davies to leave David flat-footed for the second try. Jarvis converted and when he added a penalty goal the Blue & Blacks were 15-3 up after half-an-hour.

The game was turning into a fine advert for the Premiership and the inventive attacking continued after the interval. David reduced the arrears with a 45-metre penalty goal that benefited from Cardiff being marched back an extra 10 metres at the original offence. Lock Rhys Garfield was binned in the 53rd minute and five minutes later the Blue & Blacks scored a classic counter-attacking try as Roger Davies ran back a high kick from deep in his own half and Luke Ford was at his elbow to outpace three defenders for a great touchdown under the posts.

Bridgend stayed in contention when after a succession of lineout drives near the right corner the ball was moved wide to the left where David added the points to his own try. A feature of the game was Cardiff's offloading in the tackle and that eventually paid dividends when they refused to let the ball die and Garry Horrigan smuggled over for a try near the left corner.

Some momentum was lost when Gareth Davies, on as a 71st minute replacement for Jarvis, was yellow-carded two minutes later. The Ravens took full advantage of the gap in the midfield defence as Gareth Howells burst through for a try, converted by David.

In injury time Ford and David exchanged penalties but there was no denying the Blue & Blacks' their deserved bonus point victory that got their Ptremiership campaign firmly back on the road.


Official : Nigel Whitehouse (Wales)

Cardiff Bridgend