2008/2009 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 39 v 18 Bedwas
10 April 2009 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 39 Bedwas 18

The good times keep rolling on. Not even a nightmare start against struggling Bedwas could derail the Blue & Blacks as they stretched their winning run in the Premiership to 12 matches.

The gods are definitely with them at the moment. With title rivals Llanelli going down at Swansea even before this match had kicked-off – a fillip wisely kept back from the team – and then Bedwas bombing eight points from kicks inside the first seven minutes, everything worked out in Cardiff's favour.

To their credit, they didn't panic when, inside 60 seconds of the start, they were caught cold by an excellent visitors' try for wing Jimmy Norris. Crucially, perhaps, Stuart Thomas failed to convert and then topped an attempted penalty goal from 35 metres and, worse still for his side, rattled an upright from bang in front of the posts.

Cardiff breathed a sigh of relief. Chris Czekaj back again in the colours and in fine form, produced the first try-scoring chance. Though eventually halted, Gareth Davies slotted the almost inevitable penalty. After Thomas at last succeeded with a similar effort to establish an 8-5 lead at the end of the first quarter, the Blue & Blacks finally hit their straps.

Great work in midfield by Gareth Chapman and Craig Morgan created a try for Ryan Howells, converted by Davies, and then the wing was on the scoresheet again after sustained pressure in the visitors' 22.

To complete an impressive comeback, the half finished with Cardiff gaining a penalty try, a suitable reward for their scrum superiority, and a 22-8 interval lead.

The opening exchanges of the second half replicated those of the first with Bedwas threatening the Cardiff line. Their only reward this time was another Thomas penalty goal. Their resurgence petered out after flanker Stuart Phillips was carded in the 47th minute and Cardiff took clinical advantage.

First Craig Morgan was worked clear on the elft for an unconverted try and then three minutes later Czekaj burst over for a seven-pointer.

Not even the binning of Adam Powell in the 61st minute could deter the attacking intent and Czekaj scored from a fine individual effort 13 minutes from the end.

But Bedwas, showing far more resolution when heavily defeated at home last Christmas, kept at it to the end and Thomas converted a good try by replacement Paul Bowen.

Cardiff, though, were happy enough with a bonus point win that takes them back to the top of the Premiership and this time they might just hold on to that position a bit longer than their 24-hour taste of the rarified air at that level last week. With five matches left to play that metaphorical finishing line is now in sight.


Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Cardiff Bedwas