2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 20 v 25 Llandovery
26 September 2009 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 20 Llandovery 25

Craig Morgan didn’t receive the birthday present he wanted from his Blue & Black team mates as the Drovers spoilt his Arms Park party.

The game had started brightly for the home side with a well worked early try. Pressure had lead to a lineout that was moved to the left side of the field. This created space on the other side that Gareth Chapman exploited, taking on the remaining defenders to cross near the corner. Gareth Davies added the extras. Cardiff were attacking at every opportunity in the September sunshine with Jimmy Norris to the fore, creating several scoring chances with deft chip and chases.

Each time though the referee would intervene, penalising the home side just when it looked like the second score would come. Eventually the penalty count became too heavy and a yellow card was produced. Richard Jones being the unwanted recipient.

From there the visitors came back into the game, pressurising the home line, only to be thwarted by Blue & Black defence. On one such attacked the home side scored their second try, the ball popping loose to new outside half ‘Phil Osbourne’ who put a magnificent down field kick which stayed in play near the Drovers 22. James Down chased the kick and harried the defence, the ball came loose to Gareth Davies who put Tom Slater over for Cardiff’s second, Davies converted. 

After that the rest of the half belonged to Llandovery. A penalty by Cerith Rees for off-side gave them their first points. Minutes later wing Joe Ajuwa carved the home defence apart to put Jonathan Edwards over, Rees converting. Just before half time they scored again, centre Rhys Williams scoring in the corner for a 15- 14 half time lead.

The second half continued in much the same vain as the first. Cardiff endeavour only lead to penalties at the wrong time. Cerith Rees hitting the post with one kick. The Blue and Blacks though did get back in front. Gareth Davies slotting three points from short range. 

The visitors attack was looking more and more limited, resorting to a kicking onslaught, but mistakes were to be Cardiff’s downfall. First an offside from a knock-on gave Rees the chance to regain the lead, 15-18. Then more trouble with a bouncing ball saw Edwards scoot in for the Drovers third try, Rees converting 17-25.

Time was now up and as Cardiff attacked looking for the bonus point they were awarded a penalty. Replacement Anderson stepped up to give the home side something from the game.


Attendance: 1200

Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Cardiff Llandovery