2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Pontypool 10 v 38 Cardiff
03 October 2009 - Pontypool Park, Pontypool

Match Report

Pontypool 10 Cardiff 38

A first four try bonus point win of the season was the reward for the Blue and Blacks visit to a windy Pontypool Park.

From the outset Cardiff, playing with the wind, were looking to attack and several ventures into the home 22 could have brought the first score, only for the referee to spot some sort of offence. A yellow card though to Pontypool wing Steve Taylor led to the opening try. Cardiff put the resulting penalty into the corner and when the ball was worked away from the maul Gareth Davies stepped inside his man to score under the post, a try he converted.

Things got even better 5 minutes later. Davies spotted space behind the home defence and a pin-point cross kick was collected by Tom James. It was his first touch of the ball this season following his injuries, but he showed his class rounding his wing, drawing the fullback and feeding Jimmy Norris who raced in untouched. Davies converted.

Scrum half Tom Slater too was having a lively game. A break down the middle of the field nearly saw try number three, linking up with Jamie Ringer and Adam Powell before the moved ended in a penalty. On Pooler’s first real attack into the Cardiff half they were awarded a penalty. Taylor though pushed it wide. Their next attack saw Darren Ryan harshly yellow carded for what seamed a minor offence, again though, the penalty went wide. 

Cardiff then found the wind came to be an advantage. A clearance kick from the home 22 landed around the halfway line where Gareth Davies collected it. He beat the first line of defence and a clever pass to Jimmy Norris put the winger through. With only the fullback to beat Norris rounded him with great pace to score in the corner. Davies just failed with the conversion but the visitors had a healthy 19-0 halftime lead.

The second half saw the home team start with a bang. Their first attack resulted in a penalty attempt that came back off the upright. The second attack was rewarded with a try, Dan Robinson squeezing through the defence to score under the posts, Taylor converting. Taylor then added three more points for another penalty as the home side stepped up the pressure.

It wasn’t to last though. Cardiff regained the control of the first half shortly after. The fourth try came following a break by Norris. The ball being worked wide to both sides of the pitch before the overlap was created. Matthew Veater scored in the corner, Davies added the extras.

The Blue & Blacks then made several replacements, one of which saw Tom Slater move to the wing. It was there that he scored the fifth try from the half way line following a dropped pass by the home forwards. It was left to Craig Morgan to finish the try count, scoring Cardiff’s sixth and his 99th. Davies added the extras to send the visitors home happy.


Official : Hugh Watkins (Wales)

Pontypool Cardiff