2009/2010 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 29 v 22 Bedwas
17 October 2009 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 29 Bedwas 22

Just for once the result, pleasing though it was with a bonus point victory, must have second billing to an individual landmark.

As all true Blue & Blacks had hoped, Craig Morgan scored his one-hundredth try for the club and region on the ground that he has graced so often over the course of the past dozen or so years.

It was the opening try of a topsy-turvy encounter and, for good measure, it was a timely reminder of the former Wales' international's ability to find route one to the goal line. It was also doubly appropriate as he was, by some distance, the most impressive back on the pitch throughout the early stages. From the outset it was obvious that, although wearing the number 15 jersey, he was interchanging in attack and defence with left wing Chris Czekaj and together they provided several delightful touches that were testimony to their international pedigree.

The historic score came in the 20th minute after Cardiff had fallen behind to a penalty goal from Bedwas fly-half Adam Greendale, on this evidence himself a player of some promise. Morgan's strike heralded a mini-points spree for the Blue & Blacks as within another three minutes Gareth Chapman doubled back in midfield, straightened out and raced over under the posts for a fine individual try easily converted by Nick Roberts. When the fly-half added a penalty goal, again from point blank range, the side had posted 15 points in barely eight minutes.

Then a familiar stupor set in. Bedwas levelled with two tries of their own. If the first was the result of excellent interpassing down the left flank before Kristian Owen touched down, then the second with the last move of the half occasioned red faces all around the home back division as a multi-phased siege on the visitors' line broke down and wing Matthew Pizey raced 80 metres for a try converted by Greendale.

So, 15-all at the break and it could have been worse soon after the restart but fortunately Greendale pushed a 22-metre penalty goal wide of the posts. Much more control at fly-half and thrust in the centre was provided when Gareth Davies and Owen Williams came off the bench in the 46th minute. The benefits were immediate. Davies kept the ball in front of the pack who, at last, were getting up a head of steam. Williams, for his part, finished off an attack born of turnover ball on halfway with an impressive turn of speed. Davies converted and four minutes later again added the extras after Dan Godfrey powered over from the back of a five-metre scrum.

With the bonus point in the bag and twenty minutes still to play the foot was again taken off the pedal. The side almost paid a heavy price. Replacement scrum-half Tom Dickens darted over from a tap penalty and Greendale's touchline conversion brought Bedwas back within one score.

Yet again there was naivety in the Blue & Blacks game management as, with the referee allowing eight minutes of added time, they turned over ball to the opposition who twice came close to scoring again.

Finally, Chapman booted the ball into the grandstand and only the second bonus-point victory of the campaign had been confirmed. But for the aficionados it was 'Moggsy's' Day.....

Official : David Williams (Wales)

Cardiff Bedwas