2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 23 v 26 Llanelli
11 September 2010 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 23 Llanelli 26

Llanelli held off a late fight back to take the points at a sunny Cardiff Arms Park.
In an all action start to the game the visitors to control of the early exchanges. Scrum Half Aled Davies looked lively and Cardiff were missing their first up tackles allow space behind to be exploited. Llanelli got reward for their effort after six minutes when fly-half Steve Shingler slotted a short range penalty. Cardiff hit back soon after with a penalty strike of their own. Gareth Davies the man on target for the home side.
It was the visitors who scored the first try though. Justin James scoring a fine individual try having been put in the cleat by full back Daniel Evans he stepped the defence to score in the corner. Cardiff retaliated with another Davies penalty and straight from the kick off gained the lead. Steve Taylor gather a ball that everyone thought would not go the required ten metres, raced up the touchline to the twenty-two where he found Ben Phillips in support. The hooker did as his dad Alan used to do for Cardiff, scoring near the touchline.

Llanelli though were playing at pace and it was no surprise when the regained the upper hand. Nick Reynolds crossing to put the visitors back in front. Scott Sneddon, who had replaced the injured Davies landed a long range penalty for Cardiff, but Llanelli added to their tally just before half time. Ben Morgan was allowed to run up the middle of the field by some poor Cardiff tackling and James was on hand to round of the move. Shingler added the extras for a 20-14 halftime lead.

The second half was dominated by the boot. Shingler added two more penalties to stretch the Llanelli advantage, but Cardiff came back in the last quarter through three Sneddon kicks. It wasn’t though to be enough as the visitors defence held firm in the dying minutes.


Official : Leighton Hodges (Wales)

Cardiff Llanelli