2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Pontypool 22 v 17 Cardiff
02 October 2010 - Pontypool Park, Pontypool

Match Report

Pontypool 22 Cardiff 17

Cardiff slipped to their fourth consecutive defeat as Shaun Connor put the boot in at Pontypool Park.

It all started really well. The visitors controlled the opening minutes, the forwards driving the team up the field and into the home twenty-two. When the ball was released to the backs the gaps appeared and Nathan Rees sailed through to score, Scott Sneddon converted.

Shaun Connor’s boot then started its domination of the game. Pooler had made several sorties into the Blue & Blacks half and when a chip through was chased down a penalty for pulling back and a yellow card were awarded Connor gladly kicked the three points.

Five minutes later and Connor was again on target, this time following an offside. Sneddon though did restore the advantage, landing a short range effort to give Cardiff a 10-6 half time lead
Both sets of coaching staff would not have been happy with the skill levels in the first half, but whatever was said both side still made numerous errors in the first few minutes of the second half. Connor added another penalty after seven minutes and for the second time in the match the Blue & Blacks were reduced to fourteen, this time for killing the ball.

Pontypool took full advantage and when the visitors tried to run the ball out of defence the loose ball was collected and centre Max Woodward crossed to give them the lead, Connor again on target with the conversion. Straight from the kick-off though Cardiff regained the lead.

Matthew John’s chase put pressure on the home defence, Jamie Ringer charged down the clearance kick and the ball bounced into Tom Slater’s hands to score near the posts, Sneddon converting to leave the Blue & Blacks a point up.

That was to be the last of the visitors scoring though. They nearly sealed the game when replacement centre Shaun Powell broke the home defence, the pass to John though was judged to be forward.

Shaun Connor’s kicking was not always perfect. Three missed opportunities went begging in the last twenty minutes as Cardiff hung on to their advantage. The home fans sensed the score that would give them the lead was coming and with ten minutes left Connor dropped a goal from short range to restore the lead. Two minutes from time he did it again and Cardiff were left with only a loosing bonus point to show for their effort.

Official : Hugh Watkins (Wales)

Pontypool Cardiff