2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Tonmawr 30 v 30 Cardiff
30 October 2010 - Whitworth Ground, Tonmawr

Match Report

Tonmawr 30 Cardiff 30

Cardiff’s first league visit to the Whitworth ground ended in them gaining another two points from a drawn game.

The Blue & Blacks opened the scoring in a hectic first ten minutes, the ball being in play for a majority of that time, Gareth Davies slotting from short range. Luke Richards, a thorn in the side of Cardiff on many occasions for Swansea, replied in kind straight from the kick-off and gave the home side the lead two minutes later.

The first try though was to the visitors, following a break by Steve Taylorthe ball seemed to have been lost forward just short of the line. The referee though deemed it was from a Tonmawr hand and as the ball was touched down over the line he awarded the try to Matthew John.

The openness of the first half was demonstrated by the first scrum taking place in the 18th minute. From it Tonmawr worked Ospreys wing Kristian Phillips into space and he regained the lead for the home side, Richards converting. 

Davies got the visitors scoreboard moving again with a penalty before home prop Rees was binned for killing the ball. Cardiff had been through 20 plus phases near the line and were only denied a try by the prop’s intervention. Davies added the penalty to the tally and the Blue and Blacks went into the hutch 14-13 up. 

The second half started much as the first had finished. Davies added another penalty – given for a lazy runner. Richard Smith came close to scoring following a foot-rush onto a spilt pass. Metres from the line Tal Selley hauled him down but then used his hands to flick the ball away. His punishment was ten minutes and another Davies penalty.

The home side though looked dangerous on the break and when Phillips got the ball he was always a threat. His run from inside his own half ended just short of the line, but full back Warren Davies was on hand to score near the flag, Richards converted from wide out to level the scores.

Ton then took control of the game. Under pressure Kiba Richards gathered the ball in his own half and slipped through the first tackle, and the second, and the third before dummying the full back to give the home side the lead. Richards added the extras and Tonmawr were visibly lifted by the score. 

The Blue & Blacks got back on even terms just before the scheduled finish time when another move that went though many phases resulted in the impressive Taylor putting Jimmy Norris over, Davies added the extras and the game was all square again.

Cardiff’s problems with kick-offs resurfaced though as straight from it they gave away a penalty that Richards slotted. The home side we also not concentrating at the restart and an off-side decision from the touch judge gave Davies an opportunity to tie it up again. He didn’t miss.    

As last week a drop goal attempt from the hosts to pinch the points in the last second drifted wide and the referee called time on what was a very entertaining match if you were a neutral, heart-stopping for followers of both sides.

Buy the programme - £1.50 including P&P

Click on the programme to send an order

Official : Colin Kirkhouse (Wales)

Tonmawr Cardiff