2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 29 v 23 Wanderers
30 December 2010 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Cardiff 29 Glamorgan Wanderers 23

After a long period of inactivity due to the weather the Blue & Blacks got back to winning ways against Glamorgan Wanders at the Arms Park.

A large crowd turned up to this re-arranged fixture but before some of them had taken their seats Cardiff were on the scoreboard. Virtually straight from the kick-off the ball was worked wide to Jimmy Norris who put Steve Taylor in space on the halfway line. The powerful winger broke the first tackle and then outpaced the covering defence to score in the corner. Gareth Davies converted.

The crowd may have though that would be a catalyst for an avalanche of point against bottom club Wanderers, but Cardiff’s nearest neighbours were up for the fight and for the next twenty minutes took the game to their hosts.

A series of raids into the Cardiff half saw them camp on the line, only strong defence prevented a try. Wanderers did get a reward in the tenth minute when Tomas Marks slotted a simple penalty, a feat that he repeated ten minutes later.

Davies replied in kind for the home side before Ryan Prosser was shown a yellow card for killing the ball. This was the kick-start for a purple patch for the Blue & Blacks. The first score was a candidate for try of the season. From a lineout on halfway, the ball was moved quickly to Davies who stepped his opposite number and glided through the defence. Dan Fish came to cover but Davies’ Wales sevens partner Rhys Shellard was where any good flanker should be and took the pass from Davies to score under the posts. Davies added the extras.

Straight from the kick-off the ball was again worked wide. Several gaps appeared in the visitors defence and Richard Smith was able to power over after the ball had been moved through several pairs of hands. The Wanderers though hadn’t read the script, and despite being down to fourteen men they scored with the last play of the half, a loose ball being hacked through for Dan Fish to pounce and score leaving the Blue & Blacks 22-11 up as the teams headed down the tunnel.

The second half continued with more Wanderers pressure. Cardiff simply couldn’t get hold of the ball. The defence was being severely tested. Several short thrusts at the Cardiff line resulted in the same amount of penalties. Eventually referee Watkins brandished his card again to send Gareth Davies to the bin for what looked like a ‘team’ penalty. From the resulting scrum Lloyd Thomas was sent over to bring the Wanderers back into the game.

Cardiff now had a fight on their hands and desperately needed another score to settle the nerves. A decent bout of possession for the home side eventually resulted in the bonus point try. Second row Macauley Cook, who had been outstanding in the defensive effort, drove over from short range. Steve Taylor added the conversion.

The game though was far from over. For the last ten minutes the Wanderers hammered away at the Cardiff line in an effort to get back into the game. Cardiff’s rear guard all but held them at bay. The only score coming in the last minute of normal time when Mark O’Leary was driven over. Lewis Williams added the conversion but it was to be too late to gain anything other than a loosing bonus point.

The Blue & Blacks will take a boost to their confidence going into the next game against Bedwas on Monday having gained a much needed bonus point win.

Official : Hugh Watkins (Wales)

Cardiff Wanderers