2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 6 v 20 Pontypridd
23 March 2011 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 6 Pontypridd 20

Cardiff’s winning streak came to an end at the Arms Park last night and Pontypridd returned to the top of the table.

In a pulsating opening to the game it was the home side that had the upper hand. The first quarter saw a wealth of possession and territory, but the ball didn’t go to hand as it did on Saturday and the final pass wasn’t quite there.

Dan Godfrey was again to the fore, charging his way downfield on several occasions only to be halted by the defence or the referee. Dan Partridge continued his form from the defeat of the Black and Ambers to rule the first few lineouts and Ponty were continually pushed back by a back-line that wanted to move the ball whenever possible.

It wasn’t until half an hour had passed before the visitors gained any foothold in Cardiff territory. The Blue & Blacks defence though is built of stern stuff, stopping several try scoring opportunities on the line. Just when it looked like the noisy crowd would witness a scoreless first half Simon Humberstone slotted a short-range drop goal to give the visitors a 3-0 half time lead.

If the opening of the first half belonged to Cardiff the first few minutes of the second belonged to Pontypridd. A mistake from the kick-off gave them possession that they turned into points. Lewis Jones finishing off a move that anyone of four players could have scored from. Humberstone added the extras.

Scott Sneddon got Cardiff on the board with a penalty, and doubled that score ten minutes later from short range. Ponty though had the upper hand, and with their lineout functioning again were able to play for field position forcing the Blue & Blacks to play from deep, but as much as the home team tried they couldn’t get the score to give them the lead.

It was Ponty who sealed the game in the 65th minute. A loose ball was hacked through by Jones and the bounce of the ball, that had been kind to the visitors all night, fell to Ed Siggery who scored form short range, Humberstone converting.

From there it looked like Pontypridd would go on to win at a canter, but the Blue & Blacks defence stood up to be counted, even when down to fourteen, they also had their chances, only a knock-on close to the line preventing them getting back into the game.

But it was to be Pontypridd’s night. Humberstone added a late penalty to give them a win that puts them back on the summit of the Premiership. Cardiff will re-group ahead of the SWALEC cup match against Aberavon on Sunday.

Official : Colin Kirkhouse (Wales)

Cardiff Pontypridd