2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Swansea 34 v 36 Cardiff
16 April 2011 - St Helen's, Swansea

Match Report

Swansea 34 Cardiff 36

Cardiff and Swansea showed their intentions early in the game as both sides tried to play some entertaining rugby.

The Blue & Blacks had all the early pressure and they nearly scored in the first few minutes. Steve Taylor broke the defence but couldn’t find the pass to a supporting runner. That set the pattern for the rest of the half, every time it seemed likely that the visitors would score a dropped a lack of control of the ball would stop the movement. The only reward was a Joe Griffin penalty early in the piece.

Swansea on the other hand seemed capable of scoring each time they entered the Cardiff half. Their first try came for a Cardiff mistake, Hanno Dirksen hacked the loose ball through, Gareth Owen was on hand to score.

Shortly after the Whites increased their lead, Matthew Morgan’s kick to the corner lead to a lineout that veteran lock Paul Arnold claimed and was shunted over.

Cardiff wasted another guilt edge chance to get back into the game when Taylor again broke threw the Swansea defence. His linked with Craig Everett who just lost the ball as he crossed the line. Things got worse for Cardiff on at the next Swansea attack, Scott Baldwin going over to give the Whites a 17-3 half time lead.

The second half started with a bang. Richard Smith latched on to a pass form the impressive Thomas Young to give Cardiff some hope. Griffin converted and it was game on. The home side had other ideas and in a ten minute period they saw the visitors reduced to fourteen and they capitalised as Eli Walker scored, Morgan added the conversion. Walker was again on hand to score his second after a sweeping move that was only halted illegally, an intervention that was to reduce Cardiff to thirteen.

By now it looked all over for the Blue & Blacks, but from somewhere they conjured the energy and the will to play some outstanding rugby. They gave themselves a lifeline when Rhys Dyer scrambled over round the blindside of a scrum. Swansea though looked to have sealed it when Morgan, as he had all game, scampered through a gap and gave the scoring pass to Dirkson. Morgan converted.

What happened next will live in the memory of Cardiff supporters for a long time. Rhys Shellard finished off a move that had gone through several pairs of hands and a lot of offloading out of contact. Griffin converted to bring the sides within a score. Straight from the kick-off the Blue & Blacks worked their way back down field. A few phases later Darren Ryan was put clear on the left wing. He scored near the corner flag to bring the scores level and it was left to Griffin to convert to win the game. That he did to the delight of the travelling support.

Official : David Jones (Wales)

Swansea Cardiff