Cardiff 21 v 14 Bourgoin
17 August 2002 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
CS Bourgoin-Jallieu Rugby

Match Report

Cardiff 21 Bourgoin 14

Cardiff hooker Andrew Lewis seems almost certain to miss the start of the league season after suffering an eye injury in the friendly victory over Bourgoin.

Team manager Derwyn Jones said last night, ``I understand he will be out for at least three weeks, with no physical contact during that time.''

Prop Gary Powell, who had come on at half-time, suffered a knock in the same dust up, when the teams were level at 7-7, but soon returned after treatment.

Lewis's injury apart, this was the type of first pre-season friendly that Cardiff's new management wanted: three tries to two against a determined side who started slowly but rallied despite being down to 14 men.

Cardiff coach Dai Young said, ``Considering we had been together only about two weeks, including our training trip to North Wales we are very pleased with the way we played.

``We have a lot of pace, and we have to play to our strength.''

As befits his name, Young has great faith in the young homegrown talent who were given their fling as Cardiff looked at 27 players.

Newly appointed team manager Jones shared the enthusiasm of coaches Young and Geraint John.

``We knew we would be in for a tough time. The warm conditions made things difficult but it was the test we needed,'' said the former Wales lock.

But five seasons ago Emyr Lewis and Jones were both facing Bourgoin in the Heineken Cup.

Jonathan Humphreys' side lost 25-26 in France and won 26-6 at home on their way to reaching the quarter-finals.

Cardiff began with 10 full internationals against Bourgoin's two before ringing the changes in the second half.

Iestyn Harris, generally precise in everything he did and with an eye for a break, gave way at halftime to Nicky Robinson, who was similarly smooth.

An estimated 5,000 crowd saw wing Craig Morgan, in his 100th Cardiff game, nearly score before prop Peter Rogers dotted down the opening try after 27 minutes.