Bargoed 7 v 77 Cardiff
07 August 2010 - Bargoed Park, Bargoed

Match Report

Bargoed 7 Cardiff 77

Eleven tries to one seems like a stroll in the ‘Bargoed’ park for Cardiff’s first pre-season friendly, but the division one sides should be aware of a spirited home side who give everything in the cause.

The first quarter stared well and within five minutes the Blue & Blacks were on the score board. A break by Tom Slater led to a debut try for Steve Taylor, Gareth Davies converting from wide out.

Virtually immediately from the kick off Cardiff doubled the lead, Chris Bundy making in-roads into the opposition half. Rhys James was on hand to carry on the move and slip a scoring pass for another debutant try for Simon Grainger, Davies again adding the extras. 

Three tries followed in quick succession. The third created by Slater finding a hole and linking with Scott Sneddon. The forth was a team try rounded of by Matthew John. The fifth another debut try this time by Grant Harrington after Darren Ryan had bust through the home defence, Davies converted all three.

Following a break after 20 minutes the Blue & Blacks continued the try fest. Steve Taylor got his second after good work from Chris Bundy. Bundy himself scored from a lineout move and Nathan Trevett scored his first try for Cardiff after Shaun Powell had glided through the Bargoed defence. Davies converted the first, Sneddon, taking over the kicking duties, continued the trend by converting the other two to give the visitors a 56-0 half time lead.

Cardiff made several changes at half time, giving new faces a taste of life in Blue & Black. It was though an ‘old boy’ who scored the next try. Running every penalty the home defence was breached by Sneddon on his own twenty-two. He moved the ball on to Craig Everett who saw a run in from 70 plus metres open up in front of him. No one laid a finger on him as he raced under the posts, Sneddon converted.

Darren Ryan, now playing at scrum half, added the tenth try form short range. Sneddon again adding the extras. The home side though didn’t give up and were still tackling their hearts out. Huge defence on their own line saved them on several occasions in the last ten minutes.

Cardiff's eleventh though was chalked up when Matthew John went over in the corner to give Sneddon a testing conversion to keep up the 100% record, a test he passed with a beautifully judged kick.

Bargoed got their reward in the last minute; centre Humphries scoring under the posts to break thier duck on the scoreboard.

Cardiff though will be happy with a first full game and will look to go up another gear with two ‘training games’ in the next two weeks before an encounter on Friday 20th with Birmingham and Solihull at

the Arms Park.