2010/2011 SWALEC Cup
Cardiff 30 v 20 Bridgend
19 February 2011 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Cardiff 30 Bridgend 20

Cardiff progressed to the last eight of the SWALEC cup with a hard fought victory over Division one table toppers Bridgend.
The visitors, who hadn’t been beaten in the league so far this season, came with high hopes of causing an upset and gave their travelling fans some hope of that happening within the first few minutes.
The Blue & Blacks looked as if they were still in the changing rooms in the first few minutes, making several mistakes. The Ravens capitlised as Luke Morgan pounced on a loose ball in the twenty-two to score under the posts, Nicky Giles adding the extras.

Cardiff’s confidence seemed lacking and with the Bridgend backs looking able to score at anytime. The home side’s recent victories though have been built on a solid defensive effort and this match was no different. What ever the visitors threw at them they were up to the task, and Bridgend were unable to add to their early score.

It was the home side who scored next, Scott Sneddon slotting a penalty. Bridgend though continued to attack when possible and a penalty by Giles was their reward after another attack. It could have been much worse for the home side, only a dropped pass preventing another try.

Cardiff were beginning to play some attacking rugby of their own. Dan Godfrey was taking his side forward and punching holes in the visitors defence. One of these attacks created enough space for Steve Taylor to break through and link up with Richard Smith to score under the posts. Sneddon added the conversion to level the scores.

Just before the break Bridgend regained the lead with another Nicky Giles penalty, but after the break Cardiff were a different side. Within four minutes they had regained the lead. The forwards were making a mess of the visitors set piece and when a scrum near the Bridgend line was turned the ball ended up in Cardiff hands,. Several charges at the line were held off before Dan Matthews was forced over. Gareth Davies, on for Sneddon, added the conversion.

Ten minutes later the lead was extended. A sweeping move saw Shaun Powell just squeezed out in the corner, but again the forwards pressurised the Ravens and the lineout ball was turned over. The ball was driven towards the line before being released wide where Davies was on hand to score. He added the conversion and three minutes later extended the lead with a penalty.

Bridgend though weren’t giving up and got back to within seven points when scrum half Tom Habberfield crossed and Griffiths added the conversion. With ten minutes left the visitors looked to complete their comeback, but the Blue & Blacks were in no mood to let them. The defence snuffed out any chance of the Ravens causing the upset they wanted, and with Davies adding a late penalty the game was made safe and Cardiff can now wait to see who they will drawn against in the quarter finals.

Official : Simon Harris (Wales)

Cardiff Bridgend