2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Llandovery 27 v 19 Cardiff
03 September 2011 - Church Bank, Llandovery

Match Report

Llandovery 27 Cardiff 19

Cardiff returned empty handed from Church Bank despite playing with adventure and pace in the first half.

The early exchanges were pretty even with the Blue and Black defence holding it own against the Drovers pressure. It took a Cerith Rees drop goal to get the scoreboard moving for the home side that was cancelled out by Rhys Patchell after he was high tackled by Nio Aioni in the sixth minute. Cardiff came close to scoring the first try a minute later as Owen Williams glided through the home defence, only a knock-on at the vital moment preventing the try.

Williams was not to be denied though minutes later when a Drovers lineout went astray Rhys Shellard burst up the middle of the field to link up with Harry Robinson and Cory Allen. He gave the scoring pass to Williams, Patchell converted.

Cardiff’s attacked at every opportunity and another try was nearly secured when Robinson was set free down the left wing. Only a Llandovery offence stopped the score, Patchell was though able to extend the lead from the resulting penalty.

Llandovery too were will to try to play and when Rob Walters scampered down the touchline only great covering work by Cory Allen and Dan Fish prevented a certain try.

Rees did draw the Drovers back into it with two close range penalties before the break, but Patchell cancelled one out to give the Blue & Blacks a half time 16-9 advantage.

The second half was a different story. The weather Gods didn’t smile on open rugby as the rain came down. The Drovers pack also got their act together and started playing keep ball. It wasn’t long before they got the second half scoring underway. Former Cardiff favourite and man of the match Damien Welsh going over, Rees though missed the extras.

James Garland took over the kicking duties from there on and landed two penalties to push the home side in front. The Blue & Blacks though were still trying to play but with the ball now like a bar of soap the inevitable errors crept onto their game. The Drovers were sticking it up the jumper and denying the visitors the ball. When they did get hold of it they were penalised and forced back on the back-foot. From one penalty the ball was hacked down-field. Harry Robinson got to it first but the slippery ball spilt over the try-line for Chris Knight to score, Garland converted.

Cardiff did try everything to get something out of the game but try as they might it wasn’t to be and when the referee blew for no side after 39 minutes (something he had done in the first half) the Blue & Blacks were left empty handed.

Official : Martyn Lewis (Wales)

Llandovery Cardiff