2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Swansea 27 v 28 Cardiff
01 October 2011 - St Helen's, Swansea

Match Report

Swansea 27 Cardiff 28

Cardiff ended up having sun in the sun but for the first quarter of the game all the heat had come from the home side.

Rhys Patchell had given the Blue & Blacks the early lead but two minutes later the Whites took a lead that they were not to loose until the last minute. Ospreys wing Tom Prydie found a way through the Cardiff defence to score under the posts, James Dixon converted. Dixon then extended the lead with a try of his own, scoring near the corner.

The visitors narrowed the lead when Sneddon, who had come on as a blood replacement, added a simply penalty just before half time.

The second half started with a bang as  the two teams swapped tries. First Swansea’s Nicky Thomas latched onto a break from Matthew Morgan to score a converted try. Cardiff replied in kind when Chris Bundy crashed over from short range following good build up play from the back three, Patchell adding the extras for Cardiff.

The home side bagged their bonus point when Eli Walker picked the ball up off his toes and finish at pace from half way. When Morgan added a short range penalty with ten minutes to go it looked all over for the visitors, but the Blue & Blacks had come from scores behind last season to win at St Helens, and this season was to be no different.

First Richard Smith showed the skills of Walker earlier in the half to pick the ball up low down and charge into the home twenty-two, he fed Dan Preece who went over near the corner to bring the game to within a score. As the Whites stood behind their posts they looked out on their feet. The Blue & Blacks though still had plenty of gas left which is credit to the fitness work they have put in with Richard Hughes this season.

From the kick-off the ball was worked downfield through several pairs of hands. Three or four charges were made at the Whites line before the dam burst and Jak Hopkins was set free just outside the home twenty two. He took the direct route to the try line to score near the posts to give Sneddon an easy conversion. He added the points to give the Blue & Blacks the slenderest of leads.

Still the drama wasn’t over. into injury time Swansea took the ball at pace into the corner where they looked odds-on to score. Rhys Shellard, who had led by example all game, managed the desperate cover tackle on Nicky Thomas. From the lineout Cardiff failed to control the resultant line-out and Swansea worked Matthew Morgan into a position for the winning drop goal. He looked to have landed it, even the scoreboard had given it. Importantly the man in the middle thought otherwise and Cardiff had pinched the game in the last minute for the second season running.

Official : James Jones (Wales)

Swansea Cardiff