2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Aberavon 26 v 20 Cardiff
15 October 2011 - Talbot Athletic Ground, Port Talbot

Match Report

Aberavon 26 Cardiff 20

Thirteen players were unavailable as they were with the Blues and a last minute change to the Cardiff line up saw Sion Hopkins make an appearance at fullback as Cardiff re-jigged their side at Talbot Athletic Ground.

Aberavon made the better start scoring within the first five minutes. Full back Thomas drawing the cover defence to feed winger Carter who scored unopposed.

The Blue & Blacks were though creating chances although the last pass didn’t always go where it was intended. A penalty though by Scott Sneddon did get the Blue & Blacks on the board, but the Wizards hit back with another Carter try two minutes later in a move that was a mirror of the first try. This time Jamie Davies added the extras.

Cardiff had their moments in the half. A lost Aberavon lineout nearly lead to a try for Chris Bundy but he was just pushed out of play as he went for the line. Josh Navidi, who was outstanding all the way through the half put Will Jones in space,  again though the move broke down.

Sneddon did add a second penalty juts before halftime to bring the score at the break to 12-6

The second half was full of incident. Ieuan Davies gave Cardiff the lead with a try beofre Aberavon regained the lead with a Davies penalty. Slack defending then allowed Howard Thomas to squeeze in at the corner. Another Davies penalty seemed to have sealed the game, but then the game sprang to life. Kris Barry was stretchered off with a leg injury that reqired an operation on Sunday, before Wizards back row Daryl Harvie was yellow carded for a late tackle. Sneddon added the points from the resulting penalty.

Navidi looked to have scored under the posts from a five metre scrum but the referee gave him as held up. From the next scrum though Sneddon found a hole to squeeze through to score and convert to bring it to within thre points.

Thomas gave the home side some breathing space with a penalty six minutes from time. A high tackle in the visitors twenty-two lead to Shaun Powell being red carded along with Liam Gadd from Aberavon for a punch and altough Cardiff threw everything at the Wizards in the last few minutes nothing seemed to come of the effort other than a loosing bonus point.

Official : Phil Fear (Wales)

Aberavon Cardiff