2011/2012 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 34 v 27 Neath
21 April 2012 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 34 Neath 27

 Cardiff gained a bonus point win at the Arms Park as both sides looked to play attacking rugby in a game that had no outcome on the eventual winners on the Premiership.

The first quarter of the game belonged to the home team as they scored two tries in as many minutes. First great work by the forwards after a cheeky run by Matthew Screech that saw his shorts end up round his knees in the tackle gave the Blue & Blacks a platform in the visitors twenty two and when the ball was spread wide, Harry Robinson found space to finish the move off. The second try was straight off the training ground. A simple loop by Gareth Davies opened the Neath defence up and he was able to put Dan Fish over under the sticks, Davies converted both.

That was about the only period of the game when it was fifteen verses fifteen as referee Morgan issue the first two of his eventual eight yellow cards for a bout of handbags in the middle of the field. That seemed to spur on the home side and they extended the lead in the 30th minute when centre Shaun Powell was put through a hole by Davies. Neath did get on the board just before half time when Gareth King was allowed to run straight through the Cardiff defence, James Thomas added the extras.

The second half was all Neath and with Cardiff seemingly a man light all through the half they made the extra man pay. Adam Powell was shunted over from a close range scrum and Johnny Davies ghosted in from short range to put Neath right back in the game. In between the Davies’ had swapped penalties but with the team restored to the full compliment Cardiff gained the bonus point try they had looked like scoring. Matthew John gathered a loose ball, fed it on to Davies who put Cory Allen over to the delight of the ARms Park crowd. Davies added the conversion from wide out to give the Blue & Blacks breathing space. It was enough as the regained the kick off and planted the ball safely into row Z when time was up.

Official : Greg Morgan (Wales)

Cardiff Neath