2011/2012 SWALEC Cup
Cardiff 34 v 16 Wanderers
28 January 2012 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Cardiff 34 Wanderers 16

Cardiff’s first half performance was enough to see them past a spirited Glamorgan Wanderers and into the next round of the SWALEC cup.

The early exchanges were won in the most part by the Blue & Blacks as they looked to control the game from the start. Scott Sneddon landed a penalty before opposite number Gareth Cull drew the scores level for the visitors. The home pack though was getting on top and when a Wanderers made a mistake in their own twenty two Cardiff recovered the ball and Dan Crimmins was at the forefront of a rolling maul that resulted in the game’s first try.

Straight from the kick-off Cull cut the lead with another penalty, but from there Cardiff took control. A sweeping backs move from just inside the Wanderers half saw Shaun Powell make yards up the middle. When the ball was recycled quick hands put Joe Griffin over in the corner. Just before the break another mistake by the visitors was seized on by the Cardiff back row. Again the hands saw the ball moved wide where Jake Henry outpaced the defence to slide over. Sneddon added the extras for a 20-6 half time lead.

The second half started as the first had finished. Cardiff’s forwards were providing the platform for the backs to attack. A charge by Chris Bundy and quick ball brought the forth try. Matthew John the beneficiary after powder puff tackling in the Wanderers defence, again Sneddon was on target with the conversion.

The forwards then had their go at the line. Bundy and Dan Partridge spearheaded the attack and Crimmins was able to finish it off under the posts. Wanderers then decided they may as well give it a go as they had nothing to loose. Scrum half Rhys Griffiths fund some space to shoot up the middle. He found replacement Joe Sullivan who scored in the corner. From their next attack they scored again. Winger come prop Mel Lewis on the end of a move that went nearly half the length of the field.

Cardiff had to defend for the last ten minutes as the Wanderers tried hard to get into the game, but the defence was solid and it was the home side that will go into the hat for the next round

Official : Gareth Butler (Wales)

Cardiff Wanderers