University of Wales Institute Cardiff
UWIC 12 v 16 Cardiff
22 August 2012 - Cyncoed Campus, Cardiff

Match Report

UWIC 12 Cardiff 16

Cardiff were made to work hard for victory last night in front of an enthusiastic crowd at Cyncoed.

The home support were encouraged by a UWIC team that will prove to be very hard to beat in the Championship this season. The quarter of the match saw Cardiff get into their stride early, but a series of penalties when it matter most some them come away from the opponents twenty-two empty handed on several occasions.

Dan Crimmins was to the fore for most of the Cardiff attacks making inroads into mid-field. One charge nearly led to the opening score, the final offload was un-expected though and the ball skipped forward. A few minutes later and Crimmins was through again, this time he was hauled down and Cardiff were again penalised at the resulting ruck.

The students took the lead shortly before half time when the Blue & Blacks were penalised, Mark Cooke landing the kick from wide out. Cardiff responded just before half time with a penalty of their own to bring the scores level at the break.

The first quarter of the second half was a mirror of the first, plenty of go forward but the execution was missing from both sides. UWIC were getting the upper hand and when they were awarded a penalty near half way it looked too far to gain any points, but a loose word to the referee cost ten metres and Cooke again slotted the kick. Cardiff though came straight back from the kick off with a penalty of their own before Cooke regained the lead for the students from just inside the twenty-two. He was to miss his first kick three minutes later from inside his own half, the ball just going wide.

The visitors were working hard in defence and it was that defence that gained them a penalty on half way. This was nudged into the corner and from the lineout James Monck was driven over in the corner for the game’s only try.

UWIC came straight back at Cardiff, Cooke added another three points, but it was the defence that eventually won the game, nullifying several attacks near the Blue & Black line. When Cardiff did go down the other end a simple drop goal put the result beyond the students, and the next time the ball went out of play the referee blew for no side giving Cardiff a 16-12 win.

Attendance: 212

Official : David Jones (Wales)

UWIC Cardiff