Ulster Ravens
2012/2013 British & Irish Cup
Ulster Ravens 40 v 14 Cardiff
08 December 2012 - Kingspan Stadium, Belfast

Match Report

Ulster Ravens 40 Cardiff 14

Cardiff took to the field in Ravenhill facing a tough challenge against a very strong Ulster Ravens side. Ulster kicked off the game and were straight on the attack with a series of penalties conceded by Cardiff. An early attempt at goal by Stuart Olding put Ulster ahead after 7 mins. Ulster went straight back on the attack and once again another successful kick at goal by Olding made it 6-0 after 10 minutess.

Cardiff had their own attacks and following several raids into the home half they were rewarded with a penalty shot at goal that Joe Griffin converted to reduce Ulster’s lead to 3. Ulster though hit back. Another attack sawfullback Adam D’Arcy crossing the line to score Ulster’s first try which was not converted. Griffin added a penalty for the Blue & Blacks before Ryan Harford was given yellow card in 30th minute for collapsing a maul. Ulster kicked to the corner and won a penalty try which Olding converted

Chris Cochrane showed great skill and strength to shrug off several Cardiff defenders and cross over the line for Ulster’s 3rd try which Olding converted. Cardiff had a consolation try in the 39th minute scored by Matthew Screech which took Cardiff trailing by 14 points at half time.

Ulster won several penalties in the opening minutes of the second half, Olding landing a straight forward kick in front to extend the lead. Cardiff made several changes early in second half and won a penalty which Joe Griffin slotted over to make score 28-14.  But Ulster pressure was to lead to their fourth try,Ali Birch picked and drove over line for the guaranteed bonus point for Ulster.

Straight from the restart Ulster scored again, Chris Cochrane crossing for his second try which Olding converted to give the score at full time Ulster 40 Cardiff14

Report courtesy of Gareth Davies

Official : Tom Foley (England)

Ulster Ravens Cardiff