2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 7 v 35 Pontypridd
09 April 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 7 Pontypridd 35

Pontypridd won the first of the two derby matches at the Arms Park last night to secure top spot in the Premiership.

A large and vocal crowd had travelled to the Arms Park to see these two Regional teams go toe to toe, and it was the visitors who had the better start. Having earned a kickable penalty the option for three points was turned down as Pontypridd went for the first try. The lineout though was stolen and Cardiff were able to clear. That didn’t stem the flow of attacks though and a quarter of the way through the first half Pontypridd got the games’ first try. Lloyd Williams raced around the side of a ruck into space, as the last defender came across he was able to find Scott Roberts who ploughed over the line. Simon Humberstone converted.

It got better for the visitors a few minutes later. Centre Gary Williams found space and was allowed to run before linking up with Adam Williams who scored wide out. Humberstone was again on target to double the lead. Had it not been for a forward pass in another flowing move that score could have been trebled, but Cardiff then added a score of their own.

Cory Allen who had been a threat all through the first half made a line-break that got the Blue & Blacks into the opposition half. The forwards then carried the ball well to continue the momentum before quick ball was used by the back. Allen cut back on an angle to wrong-foot the defence and was able to stretch out to score. In doing so though he injured his shoulder and was to take no further part in the game. James Thomas added the extras to draw Cardiff back into the game.

The second half started the same way as the first. Pontypridd attacked with plenty of pace and used the whole width of the field. It was no surprise when the third try came. Adam Williams again the scorer, Humberstone with the conversion.

Cardiff were still trying to play rugby and with forwards and backs combining to good effect only the bounce of a chip and chase prevented their second try. Jamie Davies was also getting through his fair share of attacks, only staunch tackling prevented him from getting through. In defence the Blue & Blacks were totally committed, Ryan Harford and Richard Smith to the fore as they led the line against the visitors attacks.

Eventually though that effort took its toll. Ponty scored their forth when the ball bounced their way and Gary Williams was able to touchdown. Minutes later Owen Jenkins was set clear by Adam Williams to score in the corner, Dai Flannigan converting both to give the visitors a comfortable 35-7 win. All eyes are now on the return at Sardis Rd next Tuesday.

Official : Ian Davies (Wales)

Cardiff Pontypridd