2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 23 v 15 Swansea
29 September 2012 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 23 Swansea 15

Cardiff continued their run of form to record a fourth win against Swansea at Cardiff Arms Park.

Swansea made the brighter start and within four minutes were on the board when wing Richard Williams was put clear to squeeze over in the corner. That shook Cardiff into life and within five minutes they scored a try of their own. A steal by Thomas Young on the floor was fed to Alex Walker, he showed great pace to get over the ten metre line and offload to Young who had rocketed up in support. He coasted over and Griffin added the extras. The scrum though was proving an issue and some questionable calls from the officials meaning Cardiff were not able to play in the right areas of the field. The defence was being as solid as ever and Macaluey Cook and Matthew Screech were getting through an immense amount of tackling.

Half way through the first half Richard Smith doubled the try count after another of the Blue & Black back row, Luke Hamilton had made a charge down the middle of the field. When the ball was worked wide Smith was able to exploit the overlap. Griffin missed the conversion but added a penalty just before halftime to extend the lead.

The second half has very scrappy, and was punctuated by the whistle of Mr Bicknell when Cardiff didn’t have the ball and silence from him when they did. Swansea lived offside all the way through the second half and that stopped any flow to the Blue & Black game. The home side did add to their count mid way through the second half. The back row trio had been outstanding all game and when Ben Roach came on that didn’t change. He and Ellis Jenkins robbed the Swansea centre near the ten metre line and when the ball was popped to  Griffin he raced through a hole in the Whites defence to score.  Swansea came back into the game with a try by Sam Lewis that was converted by Nicky Thomas who also added a penalty to give the visitors a shout.

But Cardiff were on the hunt of a bonus point. Cook put his hand up to play outside half next week when he chipped through and nearly won the race to the touchdown. Max Woodward also came close but it wasn’t to be and the Blue & Blacks had to settle for the win, the last time four in a row was achieved was this time last season. Five in a row will be a tough ask next week at Cross Keys, but confidence is high and winning is a good habit to have.


Official : Sean Brickell (Wales)

Cardiff Swansea