2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 23 v 25 Bedwas
09 March 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 23 Bedwas 25

Bedwas won a tight game with the last play of the game it an enthralling game at Cardiff Arms Park

With Wales playing in the afternoon an early kick off saw Cardiff had start brightly. They should have got on the scoreboard early when a bouncing ball wasn’t cleared, Matt Smith being pulled down short of the line. They did get a reward shortly after when Joe Griffin landed a penalty.

Bedwas hit back when Ethan Davies levelled the scores. And that lead was extended following a sweeping move that saw Lewis Robling put Lewis Hudd over in the corner, Davies added the extras. Cardiff though hit back when the captain finished off a Cardiff flowing move. Superb interplay between backs and forwards kept the ball moving up the field, and when the space opened up Jamie Davies powered through and put Shaun Powell over. Griffin’s conversion attempt when across the posts. Bedwas’ lead was extended just before half time when Davies drilled a second penalty between the uprights to send them in 13-8 up.

The second half saw more attacking from both sides. Bedwas were first to score. Having been awarded a very kickable penalty Davies put the ball down as if to attempt the shot at goal. When Cardiff headed towards the posts Davies tapped the ball and shot over in the corner for a cheeky try.

That stung the Blue & Blacks into action. The defence was putting pressure on the visitors at every occasion and it eventually paid off. Loose ball was shipped to Davies in his own in goal area and when he was tackled Joe Griffin ripped the ball off him to score. And they took the lead with ten minutes to go with the try off the match. Turnover ball in their own half was moved wide where Jamie Davies broke through a whole. He linked with Griffin who drew his man to put Powell in space. He was able to race towards the line and give the scoring pass to Jack Phillips. Griffin added the extras.

It was all hands to the defensive pump from then in. It looked as if the effort had been enough until the last play of the game. A series of scrums in the home twenty-two had left Cardiff with no fit front row and passive scrums. From the last one Sam Feeham powered over from short range to tie the scores. Davies kept his cool to land the conversion and the points for Bedwas.


Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Cardiff Bedwas