2012/2013 SWALEC Cup
Cardiff 20 v 16 Cardiff Met
26 January 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Cardiff Metropolitan University

Match Report

Cardiff 20 Cardiff Met. 16

Fourteen man Cardiff battled into the next round of the cup against the students from Cardiff Met. at the Arms Park

The ground staff had done a fantastic job getting the game on and a large and noisy crowd had travelled down from Cyncoed to cheer on their team. At it was the visitors who got on the board first. The Blue & Blacks were reduced to fourteen when Dan Crimmins was sent to the bin and at a defensive scrum no one picked the ball up allowing Miles Normandale to dive on the loose ball over the line, Matt O’Brien added the extras.

Cardiff did get on the board when Joe Griffin landed a penalty at the second attempt, but the students cancelled that out when Ryan Harford was sent to the bin.  The next score brought the scores level. Ifan Evans, a winger who Cardiff fans will like to see more of with ball in hand on a dry track, ran the ball across field from the half way line to just short of the line before being dragged down. Shaun Powell took it on before Reuben Tucker finished off the move, Griffin added the conversion and a penalty just before half time.

Things went downhill at the start of the second half as Crimmins received a second yellow card after a skirmish that also allowed O’Brien to level the scores from the resulting penalty.

Cardiff were on the back foot and when the students went ahead with another O’Brien penalty thoughts turned to St Peters on the 20th anniversary of that shock defeat. The only real backs move of the game won the game for the Blue & Blacks. Scrappy ball was picked up in his own half by Ifan Evans and he outpaced the defence before linking up with Griffin, his loop pass over the top found James Thomas who scored near the posts, Griffin added the extras and the home side saw the rest of the game out to go into next weeks draw.

Official : James Jones (Wales)

Cardiff Cardiff Met