2013 Club Friendlies
Cardiff 41 v 8 Bargoed
31 August 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 41 Baroged 8

Cardiff ended their pre-season fixtures with a hard fought 41-8 victory over Bargoed at the Arms Park. The visitors, fresh from beating Bedwas were the first on the score sheet after only three minutes. A series of penalties worked them down field before a shot a goal from just outside the 22.

Cardiff responded with some enterprising back play and two penalties from Ceiron Thomas gave them the lead  but the first try came from a Bargoed backs move. New signing Saipolu Uhi intercepting a mid-filed pass on half way to race through under the posts, Thomas adding the extras.

The move of the match produced the second try. Having worked into good field position a set piece move saw a pop pass from Thomas Pascoe to Mike Stephens that put him through a gap. He had the pace to round off the move, Thomas again on target with the conversion.

And it was Stephens who touched down for the last score of the half. Shaun Powell and Pascoe had worked some room on the left and Stephens had looped round to finish off the move. The difficult angle proved no issue for the conversion for Thomas and Cardiff went into half time 27-3 up.

The visitors started the second half brightly. Their defensive effort was stepped up and the Blue & Blacks found it difficult to wear them down. Bargoed’s hard working pack were also up for the challenge and made it tough at the scrum. The lineouts were a different matter. James Murphy was as good as he has been in the previous two games, winning not only his own ball buit a large percentage of opposition ball too.  And it was from one of those lineout steals that Cardiff scored the forth try.

Garyn Lucas spotted room down the blind side of the maul and found support from Powell. He danced his way to 5 metres out before Stefffan Jones was put clear into the corner. Jack Maynard added the conversion.

The fifith try was down to individual skill and pace. Cardiff turned over the ball deep in their own half. Jones was released in mid-field and shot past his opposite number before setting off like a hare down the centre of the pitch. The cover came from everywhere to try to bring him down but he was far too quick and evaded their clutches to go under the sticks, Maynard again adding the extras.

Bargoed did get the last word in the game when their second row went over from short range, but Cardiff will be pleased with the effort an d the win ahead of next week’s B&I cup game at Sardis Rd.

Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Cardiff Bargoed