2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 9 v 27 Cardiff
21 September 2013 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas 9 - Cardiff 27

Cardiff picked up their first Premiership win of the season on at Bridge Field.

,Playing with the breeze in the first half the dominated territory and position on the field. Dan Fish and Ceiron Thomas both kicking the Blue & Blacks to the right areas. The first points of the game though went to Bedwas as Andrew Humberstone landed a short range penalty after ten minutes. That was to be the last time the home team were in front.

 The visitors were attacking at every opportunity especially on turn over ball, and the first try of the game came when Fish spotted a miss-match  taking the second row on for pace he beat the cover and gave James Loxton the scoring pass, Loxton scoring in the corner.

 Two minutes later and another counter attack should have seen a Bedwas player in the sin-bin when the killed the ball in front of their own posts preventing a certain try. Instead Cardiff had to settle for three points from Thomas who also added another penalty to give Cardiff an eight point half time lead.

 The Blue & Blacks would have expected the home side to put territorial  pressure on Cardiff  but the defensive effort from Cardiff was outstanding, Luke Hamilton and Ben Roach lead the way with some devastating tackles and great work at the breakdown. The lineout too was being ruled by James Murphy and Mile Normandale giving the home side no platform to work from. Thomas extended the lead with another penalty before Luke Ford sent a howitzer over from half way. Humberstone got Bedwas in touch with two penalties of his own

 But the home side were becoming more frustrated because there was no way through and when former Cardiff No8 Dan Crimmins was yellow card for a shoulder charge the Blue & Blacks took full advantage. A series of  rucks saw the home side’s line push and pulled around the field and when the full back was across covering the pace Cardiff had out wide Thomas dinked a clever kick over the top that Ford was on the end of to dab down.

 Another raid into the Bedwas 22 resulted in another Thomas penalty but surprisingly no card. The referee though did show the crowd that he hadn’t left his cards in the dressing room when he brandished one at the visitors. Not that it made a difference as the water tight defence held firm for a 27-9 win.

Attendance: 400

Official : Justin Williams (Wales)

Bedwas Cardiff