2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Aberavon 17 v 29 Cardiff
28 September 2013 - Talbot Athletic Ground, Port Talbot

Match Report

Aberavon 17 - Cardiff 29

Cardiff ended the long wait for their first Premiership win at the Talbot Athletic Ground as Dan Fish scored a hat-trick in a bonus point win.

The first quarter was a tight affair. Cardiff were attempting to play running rugby from all areas of the pitch. And it was from one of those attempts that the first points came. Fish was running out of his own twenty-two when a team mate was penalised for crossing Jamie Davies giving the home side the lead.

The second quarter belonged very much to the Blue & Blacks and Fish in particular. His first try was as a result of the domination of the Cardiff pack. Turnover ball was used quickly and when Tom Williams got outside his man he set Fish on his way. He still had a bit to do but went outside his opposite number, tip-toed down the touch line to cross. Ceiron Thomas added the extras. Fish’s second followed a few minutes later when again he showed his pace to cross. Thomas was on target with the extras and added a penalty just before half time when Fish was tackled late to give the visitors a 17-3 advantage.

The second half saw Fish complete his hat-trick. His opposite number must have been sick of seeing the number 11 every time he looked up, in fact the number on Fish’ back was what he kept seeing as again the speedster shot past him. Thomas added the conversion before the game turned.

Aberavon were put right back in the game when Cardiff were harshly shown two yellow cards. Two tries followed as first Mike Powell and then Aaron Jones crossed. Jamie Davies added the extras to put Aberavon one score behind. And they would have been level had it not been for that man Fish. His tackle a metre from the line on John Phillips saved Cardiff and lifted the team. The defensive effort, as it was last week turned the game back in the Blue & Blacks favour. A series of scrums were successfully defended and the lines cleared.

With fifteen restored all that was left was to secure the bonus point, and this was completed by the forwards who had set the platform all afternoon. A five metre lineout was rumbled up to the line and although it was stopped Luke Hamilton was on hand to pop the ball over the line abnd secure the victory.

Attendance: 500

Official : Sean Brickell (Wales)

Aberavon Cardiff