2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 43 v 18 Swansea
27 October 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 43 - Swansea 18

Cardiff came from behind to beat Swansea at the Arms Park on Sunday.

With a strong wind blowing towards the Westgate end of the ground conditions were always going to be difficult into the wind. The Whites had first use of the wind and were ahead a minute into the game. From the kick-off Cardiff infringed and Cameron Clement landed a simple penalty.

Cardiff were finding it hard to keep the ball and the first quarter that was littered with mistakes. Toward the end of the quarter things go better for the visitors when a mix up in the home defence allowed Aled Jenkins to shoot through a huge hole to score. Clement again was on target with the conversion. He added another penalty to extend that lead six minutes later.

Cardiff were having to choose to kick to touch rather than go for goal because of the wind, but the line outs went astray and Swansea were able to clear.  When Cardiff did get a foothold a series of scrums saw Cardiff go over the line only to be called back for a knock on. From the next set of scrums Cardiff piled pressure on the Swansea scrum and a series of penalties were re-scrummed, but no penalty try was awarded and when the ball squirted out on the final occasion the Whites hacked it clear and went in at half time 13-0 up.

The second half saw Cardiff take complete control. A sweeping move that went side to side meant Swansea ended up with no defenders and Macauley Cook was the extra man to score in the third minute of the second half. Ceiron Thomas added a penalty a few minutes later before the Blue & Blacks took the lead. Dan Fish was on Thomas' shoulder as the he broke through. The fly half offloaded to Fish and he scored under the posts, Thomas converting.

Swansea re-took the lead as they ran the ball into the wind. A break out by Clement allowed substitute wing Jo Millen to score in the corner. That lead lasted eight minutes though as Cardiff stormed back in the Whites twenty two. First Fish then Ford went close before Luke Hamilton went over from close range. The advantage was increased straight from the kick off. A speculative kick down the tram lines was chased down hard by the Blue & Blacks and when James Loxton picked it up he kept his balance superbly to tip-toe down the touch line to score the bonus point try.

The fifth try was not long in following. Dan Fish picked up a loose kick in his own half and as a voice from the crown shouted “have a go” he did just that, out pacing the defence and beating the last man to score a great individual try. The sixth try was a reward for the effort the forwards had put in all game. A penalty was kicked to the corner and from the lineout a rolling maul moved towards then Swansea line, as it crashed over the line captain Johnathon Edwards was at the bottom of the pile to score.

That win lifted Cardiff to second in the table with a class against top team Carmarthen to come next week.


Attendance: 850

Official : Sean Brickell (Wales)

Cardiff Swansea