2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 7 v 22 Quins
02 November 2013 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Cardiff 7 Carmarthen Quins 22

Cardiff reserved their worst performance of the season for the best side they have played so far.

Carmarthen Quins boasted a 100 percent record in the league and in their last outing had scored seven tries and were looking to maintain their top slot. The game was delayed by 35 minutes due to a crash on the M4 and as the teams ran out the fireworks show at the castle greeted them. There was also a strong wind blowing down the ground and the Quins took first use of it.

Former Blue & Black Craig Evans had the first chance of points but he pushed a long range kick wide. He was though on target a few minutes later. Cardiff were having their moments, the forwards leading the way. A five metre scrum on the visitors line nearly resulted in the game’s first try, but referee Owens penalised the home side and the Quins cleared the danger.


Most of the game was being played in the middle of the par and the wind was causing problems for both sides. It was from a mistake that the first try came. A loose pass was picked up by Rhys Williams. He raced into the home twenty-two before finding Chris Banfeild who scored in the corner.

Cardiff’s one chance of the first half came when Shaun Powell went on a run. When he was brought down the ball was recycled and moved wide to James Loxton. He went round the defence only to be bundled into touch five metres short. Evans had another chance to extend the lead just before halftime, but the long range kick was wide.

The second half saw more play in the middle of the park. Cardiff huffed and puffed but couldn’t keep hold of the ball for long enough to make an impact. It was the Quins who extended their lead a few minutes into the half. Evans took the ball from a lineout before a superb inside pass to Howard Thomas who went straight through a hole in the defence to score under the posts, Evans added the extras.

He was involved again as the Quins went further ahead. A mid-field move started by Evans ended with Jason Harries scoring a converted try. Cardiff did rally but it was too late. Another five metre scrum was penalised before Luke Hamilton got a consolation try right on full time.

Official : Nigel Owens (Wales)

Cardiff Quins