2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Swansea 14 v 18 Cardiff
01 March 2014 - St Helen's, Swansea

Match Report

Swansea 14 - Cardiff 18

Cardiff came away from St Helens with a hard fought win against a side fighting for survival in the Premiership

The Whites have been at the wrong end of the table all season and now look to be being cut adrift following an 18-14 defeat at the hands of the Blue & Blacks. The home team started well.  A forward surge gave them good field position but Cardiff defended well and were able to clear. From there the Blue & Blacks pushed on and when a backs move was run from a lineout a huge hole appeared the Thomas Pascoe ran through. He was supported by Mike Stephens and when he was delivered the ball his pace kept him away from any would be tacklers to score under the posts. Jack Maynard added the conversion.

Swansea went straight down the other end and got themselves on the board. A five metre scrum was penalised by the referee and when it went down a second time he was under the posts to award the penalty try. That was in complete contrast from the previous week where no penalty try resulted from five consecutive penalties.  Luke Price added the extras. The Whites had a chance to double their advantage shortly after, centre Liam Gadd finding the room up the middle but dropping the ball with the line at his mercy. Price and Maynard both had opportunities to give their respective sides a half time advantage but the teams went into the changing rooms on level terms at seven all.

The Whites started the second half on top and within three minutes they had scored their second try. Winger Mark Harvey cutting back on a great angle to score after good approach work from the Whites pack. At that point Cardiff made wholesale changes and began to get on top of the home side. Maynard landed a simple penalty to creep Cardiff closer. The visitors gained great field advantage when Tom Slater charged down Jake Coles’ kick in the home twenty-two and when the ball was moved wide Swansea looked to have run out of defender. But Cardiff cut back inside and the chance looked to have gone. The forwards though had other ideas and when the ball was recycled Ryan Harford was on hand to score his first try in Blue & Black, Maynard again with the conversion.

The game then became very scrappy. The White were desperate to get a score and their desperation ended up in mistakes. Cardiff though were not able to take advantage, only a Maynard penalty extended the lead to give them a small cushion with a few minutes left. But straight from the kick off the Whites turned over the ball and were awarded a penalty. Knowing that only a try would do they kicked for the corner and when Cardiff infringed again the opted for a scrum five metres out. With the Blue & Blacks fearing the worst following the first half penalty try when the scrum went down the visiting support held its breath. From the second scrum though the ball shot out of the back, Cardiff were able to shut Swansea back and when the ball was held up off the ground the referee blew for no side give Cardiff the points and plunging Swansea towards the Championship.

Attendance: 350

Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Swansea Cardiff