2013 Club Friendlies
Cardiff 66 v 7 Wanderers
15 January 2014 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Cardiff 66- Glamorgan Wanderers 7

Cardiff scored another ten tries as they passed the sixty point mark for the second time in five days against Glamorgan Wanderers.

On two of the last three meetings at the Arms Park the Wanderers have come out on top but the Blue & Blacks were in no mood to let that happen this time. It took fifteen minutes to break down a well organised defence, but the pack, who had been on top for the first period took it on themselves to get the scoreboard moving. A five metre lineout was caught and driven over the visitor’s line, Sam Feehan emerging from the bottom of the pile with the ball.

Virtually straight from the kick-off Cardiff scored again. Luke Hamilton, who loves running in open space found plenty of it and no defenders to race fifty metres to dot the ball down under the posts. Jack Maynard converted and then set up the move that lead to the third try.  A miss-move in the midfield allowed him to create space for Mike Stephens to run into and when he had just the fullback to beat his perfectly timed pass to James Loxton allowed the wing to score, Maynard again on target with the extras.

Loxton was causing the Wanderers defence all sorts of issues with his pace and with Tom Williams roaming around the park Cardiff had plenty of speedsters to finish off any breaks. And when the next break came Williams ran a perfect inside line to wrong foot the last man to score the first of his three tries. Two minutes later he had his second. A dropped pass by the Wanderers in the middle of the pitch was hacked forward and Shaun Powell was able to gather and pop it off to Williams who did the rest. Maynard added the conversion from wide out as the half time whistle blew.

The second half was to be more or less a replica of the first. Although the rain let of at half time as soon as the sides ran out for the second it started again making handling difficult. That didn’t stop both sides from try to play rugby. Cardiff were by now enjoying the fast Arms Park pitch and the when the back row got their hands on the ball they took off downfield. Several pairs of hands later and replacement Bradley Mais crossed on his first appearance in Blue & Black. Another replacement was next on the score sheet. Again the forwards set up the position. Dan Partridge, who had nearly scored himself a few moments earlier, went off down the line before linking with Alwyn Lee. He was brought down inside the twenty-two but managed to offload the ball to Tom O’Flaherty to score.

Maynard, who had controlled the game from pivot superbly, got his name in the try column with a show and go from ten metres out. All that was left was for Williams to complete his hat-trick. Paulo Uhi setting him on his way as he raced over for the final try of the match.

Next up at the Arms Park for the Blue & Blacks it St Peters, Wednesday 22nd Jan 19:45