2013 Club Friendlies
Cardiff 59 v 10 Llandaff
29 January 2014 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 59 Llandaff 10

Cardiff ran in nine tries against Llandaff at a cold but dry Arms Park. They took the lead as early as the fifth minute when Brett Chatwin was put clear by Tom Pascoe, Jack Maynard continuing his good form with the boot in the January friendlies by adding the conversion. Five minutes later and that lead was extended when a driving maul saw Alwyn Lee plunge over in the corner.

When Shaun Powell was on the end of a Maynard cross kick to score the third things looked bleak for the visitors, but the stuck at their task and started to put pressure on the home side. A period of sustained pressure on the Cardiff line was rebuffed by the Blue & Black defence and somehow Lladaff came away without any points.

To add to their disappointment Cardiff scored a fourth just before half time when speedster Harry Davies raced clear after a break by Luke Ford. Maynard added the extras to give Cardiff a 26-0 half time advantage.


Straight from the kick-off of the second period Cardiff went on the attack again. Nick White, who was rampaging around the pitch all evening, collected the ball before galloping forty meters. A penalty at the next ruck allowed Cardiff to kick to the corner and it was White who benefited, cross for a try that Maynard converted. Garyn Lucas had been buzzing around the back of the pack all evening and when a lineout drive headed towards the line he was at the back to score a simple try. Debutant Danny Minward was next on the scoresheet, latching on to a break by Ford, he was on Jack Phillips’ shoulder to score.


But Llandaff had not given up, they tackled their hearts out and with a pack that was very competitive at the breakdowns it was not surprise when they supplied their first points. Cardiff had been reduced to fourteen following a yellow card and when another card saw that number reduced again Llandaff took their opportunity to score a second, again the pack at the forefront.

When the numbers were restored though Cardiff regained the upper hand. With injury forcing centre Darren Ryan into the pack at No. 8 he showed the regulars how to do it controlling the ball at the base of a five metre scrum to dot the ball down. And Ryan was again on the scoresheet with the final play, crashing over from five metres out.

Cardiff are next in action in the league when they play Bridgend at the Brewery field on Friday 7th Feb