2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Llanelli 24 v 30 Cardiff
19 September 2015 - Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli

Match Report

Llaneli 24 Cardiff 30

Cardiff gained a second bonus point win on the road at Parc-Y-Scarlets on Saturday.

In a bitty first twenty minutes neither side took control, the ball spending most of the time off the pitch or being put into scrums. Llanelli were the first on the scoreboard. Having attempted a couple of catch and drives that the visitors had defended, they eventually took 2 points from a penalty kicked by Steve Shingler.

Cardiff came straight back and took the game to Llanelli. A catch a drive of their own was more successful than that of the home side, Jonathan Edwards, for the second week running, crashing over from short range. Gareth Davies added a tricky touchline conversion for an 8-2 lead.

Yellow fever then took over as Llanelli went down to 12 men. The first card was for a late tackle. Jack Phillips had chipped the ball over the last line of defence but was shoulder charged by Jack Condy. Referee Whitehouse sent the back row to the bin and Cardiff applied the pressure. Rather than taking the 2 points on offer they went for the jugular and opted for a scrum. Three penalties later another Llanelli player was in the bin as prop Rhys Thomas was penalised for several collapsed scrums, the last resulting in a penalty try.

The Blue & Blacks really had the bit between their teeth and increased their score when they were awarded a second penalty try. Superb work by the centres freed Harry Davies to sprint downfield. His pass to Ellis Wyn Benham freed the winger for a run into the corner. As he was about to touchdown Jordan Williams recklessly tried to stop him resulting in the penalty try for a dangerous tackle and a yellow card for the Llanelli wing. When the referee blew for half time Cardiff had a commanding 24-2 lead.

After the break Llanelli, restored to a full complement looked to get back into the game. Again penalties by the Blue & Blacks saw the home side work downfield. This time the catch and drive worked and Kirby Myhill went over for an unconverted try.  Both sides then made a raft of changes as the game stagnated. Llanelli were next to score giving them hope, Josh Macload the beneficiary of the ball bouncing off a post near to the Cardiff line.

The Blue & Blacks were not to be denied though, a sweeping move in the last quarter saw Jack Phillips split the defence and put Chris Knight over in the corner. Llanelli managed to gain a bonus point with a try two minutes from the end, Owain Morgan the scorer, but when the kick off was claimed by the home and time up the inexplicable kicked downfield into the arms of Harry Davies who happily slammed the ball into row Z for the win.

Official : Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Llanelli Cardiff