Cross Keys
2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Cross Keys 26 v 30 Cardiff
12 September 2015 - Pandy Park, Cross Keys

Match Report

Cross Keys 26 Cardiff 30

Cardiff earned their first win of the new season with a tense win at Pandy Park. Things didn't start well for the Blue & Blacks as Cross Keys put on early pressure and were camped in the Cardiff half. Getting hands on the ball one one of Cardiff's problems with the set piece not functioning early in the game. The first try though came from the visitors. A Keys move worked the ball down the wing and it looked as if they would score, Chris Knight though picked off the scoring pass to race the length of the field to score at the other end, James Thomas added the extras.

Keys got their first try when Elliot Jones finished off a move that went straight through the middle of Cardiff's defence. Former Blue & Blacks Polu Uhi and Leon Andrews setting the winger up. But it wasn't long before Cardiff had a second. The driving line out was to play a huge role in the game for the home side later, but Cardiff's variation saw a peel round the blindside for skipper Johnny Edwards to stretch over from short range. Just before halftime though the home side used their own line out to good effect when from  close range to the visitors line they drove flanker Scott Matthews over for the first of his three tries.

The second half was very stop start as both sides looked for an advantage. Cardiff's third try came after great work between forwards and backs. As the home defence was sucked in gaps appears and James Murphy was able to exploit one and gallop over, Thomas was again on target with the conversion. That was when the game swung in the home side's favour. And it was that driving maul that was the weapon of choice. Cardiff were giving away a lot of penalties and loosing territory because of it. When the Keys got in range they put Matthews at the back of the rolling maul and over he went, twice to complete his hat trick and give the home side the lead. Josh Prosser converting both. 

But the game was far from finished. Cardiff's back line showed its skill when first Harry Davies and then Ceri Young made inroads, Will Rees Hole took the ball on before Jack Phillips showed great dexterity to score in the corner with 6 minutes to go. The Keys threw everything at Cardiff and when Phillips was harshly penalised at a ruck despite clearly being the tackler the Blue & Blacks were forced to defend with fourteen. 

Keys again turned to the maul but this time the defence was up to the task and with the ball going forward they were able to clear their lines. Back came keys again and with the clock running down they threw the kitchen sink at the visitors. Well into stoppage time a series of pick and drives pushed them towards the line,the final one looked to have secured the winning try but Rees Hole was able to get under the ball and rip it away. As it went loose in the in goal area it was touched down by a Blue & Black hand. Referee Morris consulted with his Assistant before awarding no try and blowing for no side giving the visitors a 30-26 victory.

Official : Gwyn Morris (Wales)

Cross Keys Cardiff