2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 40 v 10 Neath
30 January 2016 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 40 Neath 10

Cardiff gained a bonus point win against bottom club Neath at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park.

Looking to build on two wins in a row the Blue & Blacks started brightly, wing Ceri Young having a run after good work by the forwards. The home side were looking to play at every opportunity but the last ball simply would not go to hand. The first try though eventually came following a five metre lineout. Having failed to score directly through the pack the ball was moved wide. When that move was stopped the ball fizzed back the other way for Ben Thomas to crash over. James Thomas added the extras. That score was doubled shortly after following a Neath sin bin. By now the pack was on top and ask they drove towards the line they were stopped illegally and a penalty try was awarded.

Three minutes later and another penalty try should have been given but as with previous games against Neath at the Arms Park one was not forthcoming despite a yellow card and three penalties five metres out. It was left to Richard Smith to register try number three as he cut a great line off Thomas them metres out, the outside half added the extra two points. Neath so first points came just before half time when Luke Price landed a penalty to leave the score 24-2 in favour of the home side.

The second half saw more of the same form the Blue & Blacks. Tom Slater scored the try of the game to register the bonus point. The scrum half looked up, threw a dummy and raced under the sticks from 35 metres out. Thomas converted but it took Cardiff another twenty minutes to score again. In between they tried too hard and the final pass was forced too often resulting in mistakes. That fifth try was scored by Miles Normandale as he was shunted over from a five metre lineout, Thomas again on target with the conversion. Neath though we're to have the last word in the game as Price went on a run down the wing to feed Iwan Evans to score the final try of the game.


Official : Gareth John (Wales)

Cardiff Neath