2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 25 v 22 Newport
02 September 2016 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 25 Newport 22

Cardiff started the new Principality Premiership season with a hard fought win over Newport.

The Blue & Blacks started the game at 100 miles an hour and were two scores ahead after just nine minutes. Right from the kick off the home side wanted to use the pace they had in the back three. A slick move which had been created by the forwards brought Rhun Williams into the line and he put Ceri Young into space. The winger finished the move off and made the conversion easier by getting close to the posts, Jarrod Evans obliging with the extras. Three minutes later the try count was doubled. This time Young the provider and Williams the scorer.

Newport looked shell shocked but played their way back into the game. A period of sustained pressure eventually breaking down the defence with prop John Lavender crossing in the corner. Matt O'Brien was wide with the conversion but landed a thirtieth minute penalty to bring the visitors closer. And they went into the break ahead after Elliot Frewen found a way through the Cardiff defence to score near the posts, O'Brien added the conversion for a 15-13 half time advantage.

The second half continued in the same vein with both sides looking to attack at any opportunity. Cardiff were next on the scoreboard as Evans landed a straight forward penalty. Newport bounced back once again to regain the lead. A series of penalties worked a position in the Cardiff 22 and when the ball went through several phases Garin Harris was able to get the ball down over the line despite the attention of several defenders. O'Brien adding the conversion.

With the play switching from one end to the other it was a surprise that there weren't more scores, but there were only two more scores, both going to the home side. A mix up in midfield by Newport gave the ball to Cardiff and when Ceri Young got the ball there was only one outcome, the winger raced over for a try that Evans converted expertly from the touch line.

And Evans was to win the game for the Blue & Blacks with another expert kick that put the home side three points ahead. O'Brien had a chance to level things but the ball cannoned off the post enabling Cardiff to clear. And from there the defence stayed strong against concerted Newport attacks to close out the game and the first league win of the season.

Attendance: 750

Official : Simon Rees (Wales)

Cardiff Newport