2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 24 v 21 Quins
29 October 2016 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Cardiff 24 Carmarthen Quins 21

With Halloween just a few days away Cardiff and Carmarthen served up a thriller at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park.

It didn't start very well for the home side, in fact it could have been described as frightening. The Quins were playing rugby from all areas of the pitch and it was a shock that there was no score in the first ten minutes. But they did get on the scoreboard following a penalty catch and drive. The five metre lineout was rumbled over with Rhodri Clancy the man to score. Stevan Marshall was wide with the conversion but he has beginning to direct the Quins. They looked likely to score whenever they had the ball but the last pass and some excellent defending kept them at bay. Diggy Bird got the Blue & Blacks off the mark with a penalty, but the Quins extended their score when Tom Williams was put away. The former Cardiff flyer needed no other invitation to sweep down the wing to score. Only a broomstick would have helped catch could the winger, and Marshall added the extras for a 12-3 advantage.

The second half was a different story and both sides started with some kick tennis that gave no one a real advantage. The Blue & Blacks were first to score. A loose ball was picked up by replacement Harri Millard and he fed James Beal. The Cardiff wing had a lot to do and put in a grubber behind the defence. His pace meant he was first to the ball and a kind bounce saw him score a great individual try. Bird added the conversion to bring the scores closer before Marsall pushed the Quins further ahead as Johnny Edwards was penalised and red carded at a ruck. That meant 25 minutes with a man down, but Cardiff were to take the advantage from that moment. Beal was to add a second that saw him named Man of the Match later. Millard was again influential as his break punched a hole through the Quins defence. His beautifully timed pass freed Beal and he beat the last defender to score. Bird added the extras and Cardiff were ahead for the first time.

Marshall put the Quins back in front with another penalty but the defining moment was to come from Millard with seven minutes to go. A sweeping move allowed Owen Lane to drift outside his man and feed Millard. The replacement did the rest as he touched down under the sticks. Marshall got the Quins to within a score, and with the clock almost gone the visitors were awarded a kickable penalty. A ghostly hush in the crowd was broken by the intervention of the Assistant Referee as he flagged a penalty against the Quins. The penalty reversal allowing Cardiff to clear and see out a dramatic 24-21 victory.

Official : Adam Jones (Wales)

Cardiff Quins