2016/2017 Fosters Challenge Cup
Cardiff 15 v 24 Bridgend
11 January 2017 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Cardiff 15 - Bridgend 24

Cardiff lost out to the Ravens in their last home Challenge cup match at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park last night.

On a cold but dry evening both sides were looking to play running rugby. And the Ravens were first to score. Moving the ball away from their own line they were able to make a break down the middle of the filed. Wing Ryan Griffiths, who was a handful all evening was able to get away and put Jamie Murphy over for a try that Joe Scrivens converted. Cardiff came roaring back and battered the Bridgend line with a series of pick and go’s. The Ravens held out but not legally and when a penalty was awarded for yet another infringement debutant fly half Oliver Jenkins took a quick tap from seven meters out and caught the defence napping to score.

Bridgend’s second try came three-quarters of the way through the first half. A penalty was kicked to the corner and although the initial drive was repelled prop Nicky Boyce was able to score from the recycled ball, Scrivens again added the extras. Just before halftime Cardiff reduced the arrears when Lewys Montague landed a penalty to send the Blue & Blacks in 8-14 down.

The second half belonged to the defences. Bridgend were looking to take an advantage in the Pool by securing a bonus point but, even though the Blue & Black team showed many new faces, defensively they were very organised. The one break the Raven were able to make led to their only try of the second half. Joe Gatt found a hole and was able to power through it. With cover coming over he fed full back Matthew Edwards who continued the move before feeding the ball back to Gatt who scored a try that Murphy converted.

Cardiff were also playing with some pace but the last pass just didn’t seem to go to hand. But the Blue & Blacks did draw back to within one score. A welcome return to the pitch saw club captain Luke Ford make an appearance from the bench and he was able to power over from short  range following good work by the pack. Jenkins landed the extras. The Ravens though secured the game when Murphy landed a long range penalty with a few minutes left. The Blue & Blacks threw everything into the final minutes but Bridgend’s victory 23-15 was secured and when the ball went lose from a Cardiff attack they were happy to land the ball in the stands and allow the referee to blow for no side.

Official : Elgan Williams (Wales)

Cardiff Bridgend