2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 33 v 34 Swansea
10 February 2017 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff

Match Report

Cardiff 33 Swansea 34

Cardiff lost for a second time in tier two of the Principality Premiership at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park as Swansea completed a double of the Blue & Blacks.

A glance at the scoreboard in the first twenty minutes though would have given the impression that Cardiff were the more likely to have been the victors. Three tries in that time had given the home side a great start. First over the line was Jordan Viggers as the pack took control from a few metres out, Viggers going over with a couple of defenders hanging on to him. Harri Millard increased the lead a few minutes later, this time following a Swansea attack in the Cardiff half. Will Rees Hole picked of a pass and set off downfield. With defenders closing him down he kicked ahead for the flyers James Beal and Harri Millard who both outpaced the defence, Millard being the one to touchdown under the posts.

Within five minutes the third try was registered as Millard, Ceri Young and Gareth Thompson combined to put Rees Hole over. Thompson converted all three and had added a penalty to give the home side a 24-0 advantage. Swansea though were not about to give up and took the initiative. A try by Jed Evans got them on the scoreboard and when Jack Perkins was shunted over from short range they had cut the gap. Thompson added another penalty just before half time though as Cardiff went in 27-12 ahead.

The Blue & Blacks would have been looking to secure the bonus point try as soon as they could in the second half but all the tries in the second period went to Swansea. Their first came from prop Tom Sloane early in the second period, and although Thompson was able to add two further penalties for Cardiff it was to prove not to be enough. The Whites were all over Cardiff and the home side simply couldn’t get any momentum. Jon Fox scored Swansea’s bonus point try with three quarters of the game gone but Cardiff were still two scores ahead as the Whites had left their kicking boots at St Helens – eventually leaving 11 points behind.

But scoring tries always helps and the fifth was scored by Jon Bayliss in the corner to put Swansea two points behind. And even though the kick went wide Jac Wilson was on hand to land the killer blow with seven minutes left on the clock. 35 metres out wasn’t a problem for the fullback as he drove the final nail in Cardiff’s coffin. Cardiff will take a bonus point for being within seven points but given the start they had it should have been so much more.

Attendance: 250

Official : Elgan Williams (Wales)

Cardiff Swansea