2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Newport 19 v 31 Cardiff
27 August 2017 - Rodney Parade, Newport

Match Report

Newport 19 Cardiff 31

Cardiff started their Principality Premiership season with a bonus point win against old enemy Newport.

Three tries from Pat Lewis, making his league debut for the Blue & Blacks, and the rest of the points from Gareth Thompson gave Cardiff the perfect start away from home. The open stages were all about getting an early upper hand but neither side really came out on top in this period. Thompson gave the Blue & Blacks the lead with a penalty before the Black and Ambers sent one wide. The first try came shortly after as a breakdown in communication gave Cardiff the ball, Llywarch Ap Myrddin, against his former side, put his head back to race into the home twenty-two. His well-timed pass sent Lewis over for his first. Thompson added the extras from wide out and was on target with the conversion of the next try as the same combination again tore through the Newport defence to open up a 17 point lead.

Newport struck back as Will Evans crossed for a converted try but that spurred Cardiff to score the team try of the match. Havin secured the ball in their own 22 the Blue & Blacks set off on a sweeping move upfield. Thompson combined with centre Will Rees Hole and Owen Lane to create space out wide. Ap Myrddin continued the move and it was left to Lewis to put on the after burners and sprint away from the Newport defence for a near length of the field try that saw Cardiff into the sheds 24-7 up.

With the sun beating down on the new Rodney Parade pitch it was no surprise that the running rugby continued into the second half. The bonus point try was secured just after the restart as Thompson seized on a mistake by the home side, danced between two defenders and out sprinted the cover to score try that had started in his own half. His conversion gave Cardiff a healthy lead but the Black and Ambers didn’t give up and only a desperate last-ditch tackle from Ap Myrddin saved a certain try in the corner.

But the dam did eventually burst, Newport scoring twice towards the end of the game through Harri Lang and Henry Palmer. But it wasn’t going to be enough, Cardiff worked hard for the last ten minutes and only a few mistakes prevented it being a higher final score line. The coaching team will be pleased with the effort and result but will know there are a few thing to work on before the visit of Merthyr to the Arms Park next week.

Official : Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Newport Cardiff