2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Cardiff 21 v 64 RGC 1404
02 April 2018 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404

Match Report

Cardiff 21 RGC 64

Cardiff were given a lesson on how to take any opportunity that comes by a ruthless RGC1404 side who secured a bonus point win at the Arms Park.

And the Blue & Blacks gave RGC several chances to show what they could do in the first ten minutes of the game. Missed tackles and a series of penalties gave the North Wales side most of the ball and field position. And after a simple break Tiaan Loots was able to slip the shackles to score the opening try, Jacob Botica converting. That lead was doubled very soon after. Another missed tackled allowing scrum half Alex Schwartz through a gap for another converted try. The third try wasn’t long in coming either. A burst down the unprotected blind-side of a scrum allowed acres of space and wing Dion Jones exploited it to score. That try went unconverted but the bonus point try was secured before the half hour. This time the forwards carried the ball up and hooker Evan Yardley went over.

Cardiff looked shelled shocked by the speed and pace of the visitors attack, but eventually put a few phases together to get on the scoreboard. A penalty was pushed into the corner and when the drive was stopped the ball was moved out into the back, Rhodri Cole though was able to slip through a gap to stretch over. Gareth Thompson converted but there was no let up at the other end. Full back Rhys Williams racing away from a ruck to score. Botica converted. Cardiff grabbed a second try just before half time when Adam Jones used his strength to power over for a converted try.

Botica opened the scoring in the second half with a penalty for the visitors and they were soon back on the try scoring path when another Cardiff mistake allowed Williams to break clear,. He was stopped on the twenty-two but offloaded to Yardley who scored his second try of the game. Cardiff were coming slowly back into the game with the scrum being the one weapon that was working, but when a ball squirted out of the back of a scrum RGC were on it in a flash and replacement Efan Jones pounced for yet another score. Cardiff were still trying to play some rugby. And when a penalty was kicked into the corner the forwards took it on themselves to add to the scoring, Luke Crocker the man at the bottom of the pile for a converted try. The fifty point barrier though was broken shortly after when Dion Jones scored his second. Cardiff were trying to get at lease something from the game in a four try bonus point, but in an effort to do that a wide pass was picked off and run in for another converted try.

RGC defended their line right to the last in to stop the Blue & Blacks gaining anything from the game and with the last play of the match the ninth try was scored leaving a full time score of Cardiff 21 RGC 64.